E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy rain flooded my car!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.
Default Heavy rain flooded my car!?

2 killed, more than 200 rescued in San Antonio floods

After all the rain my car some how had a good amount of water inside of it? all doors, windows and everything were shut. The car has obviously been in rain and has been washed and nothing like this has ever happened. The back left foot well only was full of water and under the back seat was full. The spare tire well was full of water including the battier well. In the pictures I had already vacuumed out most of it. I filled a 5 gallon shop vac with water from the car.
The affect of this has pretty much ruined all my electronics in the car. The gages dont work, light and so on. It will start!!! but wont drive 100%. I didnt take it any where, just had to rearrange the drive way dew to this.

Has this happened to anyone?
Any guesses how damaged it is? Or how it even happened?! I dont get it at all! all rubber around the trunk and doors seem to be good!

NOTE: This is all from rain getting inside some how. The car was not sitting in water and it was not flooded around my area just heavy rain!

Attached Thumbnails Heavy rain flooded my car!?-batteir.jpg   Heavy rain flooded my car!?-back-seat.jpg   Heavy rain flooded my car!?-foot-well.jpg   Heavy rain flooded my car!?-spare-tire-well.jpg  
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

I feel really bad for you. We just returned from a 3,000 mile road trip and stayed 4 nights in your beautiful city.
What happened to you unfortunately has happened to other E60 owners before. Please do a search to find details.
I have a 2008 535i and electronics had already been relocated on that model to the upper left side of the trunk. I would not drive the car until it has fully dried out. Maybe some of the electronics can be saved that way. Have you talked to your insurance company yet?
We got into a huge thunderstorm on our way from Galveston to Baton Rouge and I was thinking to check whether my trunk stayed dry. Forgot about it, but sure will do that now. By the way, during that storm lightening hit behind us and all of a sudden our navigation was taking us to Birmingham, AL and miles had changed to kilometers in the display. Tricky, those Bimmers.
Good luck with your car.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Man that sucks ... saw the late news about the sudden flooding and fatalities. Hope all works out for you but once water gets into a car (esp like BMWs) the cost to restore electronics can = a total. And even after totally dried out the residual damage just doesn't stop.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I strongly recommend that you take LOTS of pictures that clearly shows where the water is and was. Continue to vacuum and clear out as much water as you can. The pictures will act as evidence when needed with your insurance company. I would also use some kind of deodorizer because you never know what kind of dirty water is in your car. Once that stink sets in your car done! Several years ago my car was in a massive rain storm with the sunroof open and windows down. There was ~ one inch of standing water on the floors, all the leather was wet and stretched, just awful. I took pictures and toweled up most of the water then went to a car wash that had a wet vac. and cleaned more. Called the insurance co. and made an appointment. I parked car in the garage and went to Mexico for business returned four days later and met with agent. He reviewed the pictures and could still see the damage. Issued a nice check, kept car in garage for a week with windows down. My situation was VERY lucky. Everything returned to normal! I've had NO issues at all from the incident. But, I was very lucky. Rain water is a lot different that the water that comes up from a flood. It's possible they will total it out, but you won't know until they have a look and asses the damage. But you should still do some things up front just in case you end up keeping the car or the insurance company decides that they will repair it. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 2004

There is a lot of foam under the rear carpet which soaks in a lot of water. I had to flip mine for a few days to let the water rundown and dry.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Link to a recent thread dealing with similar situation:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-trunk-132452/