E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heating and Ventilating

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Allen' post='769321' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:22 AM
Use the "Individual Settings" position and then set the upper (defrsot) vents, middle (dash), and bottom (floor) for whatever you want.

I too agree that it is overly complicated. Note that the red/blue bars in iDrive do not affect the floor vents...if the bars are set to all blue (cold) then you can still get hot air on your feet by setting the temperature knob to hot (fully clockwise).
Thank you

The controls in any other car (including BMW) are much easier.

I don't mind I Drive but you should have dedicated buttons for HVAC.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Use AUTO mode all the time (along with the auto setting for the fresh air recirculation) and you never have to touch iDrive at all. It works perfectly if you let it -- just adjust the temperature dials up or down to suit your needs and let the car and it's advanced systems figure out everything else...
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='770396' date='Jan 17 2009, 04:59 PM
Use AUTO mode all the time (along with the auto setting for the fresh air recirculation) and you never have to touch iDrive at all. It works perfectly if you let it -- just adjust the temperature dials up or down to suit your needs and let the car and it's advanced systems figure out everything else...
Rudy - I've tried to let the AUTO control handle the issue along with fresh air recirc. It has been fine up until this recent cold weather in Boston, but I think the very cold outside temperature has fooled the thing somehow. It's blowing cold air everywhere, even with the two (L&R) temperature dials set on 72. I am very glad to have the heated seats and steering wheel while this cold wind courses through the car. Just as a side note, I find that closing the inner cover over the moonroof makes for a much more comfortable situation when the temperature outside is 0F.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='770420' date='Jan 17 2009, 05:45 PM
Rudy - I've tried to let the AUTO control handle the issue along with fresh air recirc. It has been fine up until this recent cold weather in Boston, but I think the very cold outside temperature has fooled the thing somehow. It's blowing cold air everywhere, even with the two (L&R) temperature dials set on 72. I am very glad to have the heated seats and steering wheel while this cold wind courses through the car. Just as a side note, I find that closing the inner cover over the moonroof makes for a much more comfortable situation when the temperature outside is 0F.
Go back to the I-drive, c if the the person symbol is blue or red. If it's blue, that's why it's cold.Turn the I-drive until the person symbol turns red. Thats it.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Quieter too!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='760681' date='Jan 6 2009, 11:47 AM
I've read the manual and spent considerable time just playing with the system and still cant say that I understand how it works. Can some one dumb it down for me? Thanks
Thanks for asking this question! I've been designing hvac systems for longer than I'll admit. Getting them fixed, and getting them built too. So far the I drive has me stumped. Just showing my age.

DaveL
Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that you need to close the shade to add an extra layer of insulation from the cold. If your center vent setting isn't in the blue (as explained earlier), then there may be something wrong with your car. We've had below zero temperatures here as well this past week and my car's heating system performed flawlessly. I'm also 99% sure that I leave the center vent setting "in the middle" (white bar) and I'm still quite satisfied with how everything works. (I've been satisfied with the automatic modes of BMW's HVAC systems since my first E39 back in 1998...)
Old 01-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='770501' date='Jan 17 2009, 08:53 PM
I agree that you need to close the shade to add an extra layer of insulation from the cold. If your center vent setting isn't in the blue (as explained earlier), then there may be something wrong with your car. We've had below zero temperatures here as well this past week and my car's heating system performed flawlessly. I'm also 99% sure that I leave the center vent setting "in the middle" (white bar) and I'm still quite satisfied with how everything works. (I've been satisfied with the automatic modes of BMW's HVAC systems since my first E39 back in 1998...)
Auto is fine for day to day however when its really cold and you want to put warm air on the windshield (to melt ice & snow) you need to push the defrost button.
When you do that all the air is directed to the windshield and my feet get cold. In any other car you can tell the car (push a simple button) you want air at the windshield and floor.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

It's blowing cold air everywhere, even with the two (L&R) temperature dials set on 72. I am very glad to have the heated seats and steering wheel while this cold wind courses through the car. Just as a side note, I find that closing the inner cover over the moonroof makes for a much more comfortable situation when the temperature outside is 0F.
Here's the solution to your problem:

1. On the drivers side temperature control knob, press the center button and that will short cut you to the climate control window on your idrive screen.
2. Using your idrive control wheel, select the little box with a plus on top and a minus underneath. It is here that you can select whether you want more warm or cool air to blow out of the center vents. In your case, you'll want to change the setting to 3 or 4 red bars for more warmth.
3. Now select the auto button on your center knob and manage your ambient temperature by adjusting the temp through your temp knobs.
4. Press the menu bottom by the control wheel to get out of the climate window.

In summary: With the e60 idrive, press the center button of the driver's temp knob to adjust the cool-warm level coming from the center vents. With the e90 (3 series), it's a simple wheel like the one in the back seat. Go figure.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by V70Cat' post='770679' date='Jan 18 2009, 08:07 AM
Auto is fine for day to day however when its really cold and you want to put warm air on the windshield (to melt ice & snow) you need to push the defrost button.
When you do that all the air is directed to the windshield and my feet get cold. In any other car you can tell the car (push a simple button) you want air at the windshield and floor.
I understand but again, on my car (and on my old E60), I rarely need to use the windshield defroster. When I do, I don't need it on for very long so in short time, I switch it back to auto and everything continues to work perfectly. If you're using the defroster to melt ice and snow maybe you should use a windshield scraper on it first? (Not trying to be a wise guy -- I just don't know why you're experiences are so different than mine...)

Quick Reply: Heating and Ventilating