E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heater fan Pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my climate control is on auto I hear the fan pulsing slightly. Like it's going a little faster, then a little slower, almost like a reving noise !

I notice this mostly when the car is stopped and I turn on the heater fan to get the retained heat. Is this normal ?

It does not always do it, seems to happen mostly when the car and cabin is at operating temp.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by higher' post='1094171' date='Jan 20 2010, 10:59 AM
When my climate control is on auto I hear the fan pulsing slightly. Like it's going a little faster, then a little slower, almost like a reving noise !

I notice this mostly when the car is stopped and I turn on the heater fan to get the retained heat. Is this normal ?

It does not always do it, seems to happen mostly when the car and cabin is at operating temp.

If your battery is low, the car does have the ability to pulse the heater fan at 160 hz in order to save battery power. Look at page 7 of the power supply PDF
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by higher' post='1094171' date='Jan 20 2010, 01:59 PM

So you hear a high pitch then a low pitch whining noise, correct????
Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='1095416' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:41 AM
So you hear a high pitch then a low pitch whining noise, correct????
That's exactly what I hear...

Although last night I was in the car / stationary, with the engine running and turned off the heater fan and still heard the noise, so now I'm not convinced it's the fan, but something elese connected to the heater system.

I tried turning the engine off and then turning on the fan blower and it made the high / low pitch whining noise again, very strange....!

I guess it could just be a frequency / pitch thing on the fan blower of some other component, guess I'll just have to turn up the radio volume
Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by higher' post='1095590' date='Jan 22 2010, 09:45 AM
That's exactly what I hear...

Although last night I was in the car / stationary, with the engine running and turned off the heater fan and still heard the noise, so now I'm not convinced it's the fan, but something elese connected to the heater system.

I tried turning the engine off and then turning on the fan blower and it made the high / low pitch whining noise again, very strange....!

I guess it could just be a frequency / pitch thing on the fan blower of some other component, guess I'll just have to turn up the radio volume
I've had this for six months now with no luck from the dealer. I have NEVER heard it without the fan on.....it always comes on with the blower and it's best to hear at the lowest setting.

My dealer has looked into this twice with no resolution. one time, they thought the freon was low in the compressor so they filled it (I had to pay for that) but it didnt make a difference at all.... I've learnt to live with it. I think its' the blower and changing it will fix the prob. its not a belt for sure because you cant hear it in the engine bay....
Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545, Sport Package, Steptronic, NAV, L7, PDC, Sunshades, Titanium Gray over Black, Bluetooth

Had the same problem but mine occured when the fan was at full and the RPM'S were above 2,000. Turned out to be a bad battery.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

I have a similar problem (although I'm not convinced it's exactly the same).

With mine, if I set the fan speed to 0 (to make the other noise more audible) and the heater to hot, then I get the whining noise. If I set it to the coldest setting, there's no noise. In the middle, the noise is intermittent.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

This may be way off base, but sometimes upon coming to a stop I can hear the radiator cooling fan spooling up and down. This might be the sound heard from those saying it is not related to the climate control blower.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
This may be way off base, but sometimes upon coming to a stop I can hear the radiator cooling fan spooling up and down. This might be the sound heard from those saying it is not related to the climate control blower.
If you change your climate control between hot and cold does it alter the noise?
Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nsudac
If you change your climate control between hot and cold does it alter the noise?
I didn't try that, I will give it a go tomorrow and post what happens.

Someone earlier posted it could be a flat-ish battery, I did have touble starting the car a couple days ago when the combination of cold weather and not use the car of week meant the battery was low - which suprised me a bit !! Can't see who this would affect the heater blower when the car is running though