E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater blowing warm not hot air

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi does anyone have the same problem with a solution found?

I have the SE spec standard aircon heater control

The temperature set to the max, air direction to the windscreen, the air is very warm. ( The idrive climate set to warm top setting )

Now put the direction of the air to the centre vents towards the driver, the air now goes cooler.

The dealer and BMW UK say this is the same on all E60 models.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution?

I would also add the vents to the rear passengers is cooler than the front centre vents.

If I had paid the extra for the full climate control maybe I wouldn't have this problem? Maybe next time.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

Spider,

Under Idrive climate, air distribution settings, driver settings do you have the option to change the temp of the centre vents?
I know on my advanced air con, I have an option under driver settings, where you can adjust the temp of this air vent.
One comment though, you need to have your ignition on (ie position 2) for any changes to happen.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='414352' date='Apr 16 2007, 08:50 PM
Spider,

Under Idrive climate, air distribution settings, driver settings do you have the option to change the temp of the centre vents?
I know on my advanced air con, I have an option under driver settings, where you can adjust the temp of this air vent.
One comment though, you need to have your ignition on (ie position 2) for any changes to happen.
Yes the idrive control is on the max temp setting
Thanks for the advice
Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Members

Is there the warm cold adjuster thing in between the center vents?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AutoTalent' post='414601' date='Apr 17 2007, 06:53 AM
Is there the warm cold adjuster thing in between the center vents?
The centre vents are either on or off. The BMW dealer has checked and everything is working. My friend has the same problem. The heating through the vents facing the passemgers which include the centre and the two side vents don't get that hot.

Maybe a design fault, but I have owned a VW Passat and no problem, I would of expected the BMW to be of a higher standard

Lets just hope the winters aren't to cold
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by spider991' post='414339' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:00 PM
Hi does anyone have the same problem with a solution found?

I have the SE spec standard aircon heater control

The temperature set to the max, air direction to the windscreen, the air is very warm. ( The idrive climate set to warm top setting )

Now put the direction of the air to the centre vents towards the driver, the air now goes cooler.

The dealer and BMW UK say this is the same on all E60 models.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a solution?

I would also add the vents to the rear passengers is cooler than the front centre vents.

If I had paid the extra for the full climate control maybe I wouldn't have this problem? Maybe next time.

Thanks in advance
Do a test while driving on the highway over 100 kph and see if the air from the centre vent is hotter than that when driving at low speed in the city and let me know. May be the same problem that I had, which I got fixed. Let me know.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by gabman' post='414679' date='Apr 17 2007, 05:08 AM
Do a test while driving on the highway over 100 kph and see if the air from the centre vent is hotter than that when driving at low speed in the city and let me know. May be the same problem that I had, which I got fixed. Let me know.
I think the car was designed like this only respectively warm air comes out of the face vents. Hot air comes from the floor and cowl vents. I think it has something to do relieveing driver fatigue.

I for one dont like it, i love to open the sunroof on brisk nights and crank up the face vents to warm me back up like i can do on my e34.

I can sometimes get a really hot blast for a while but i really just be fumbling with the controls and whola, no method to the madness.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by buddy' post='414948' date='Apr 17 2007, 07:22 PM
I think the car was designed like this only respectively warm air comes out of the face vents. Hot air comes from the floor and cowl vents. I think it has something to do relieveing driver fatigue.

I for one dont like it, i love to open the sunroof on brisk nights and crank up the face vents to warm me back up like i can do on my e34.

I can sometimes get a really hot blast for a while but i really just be fumbling with the controls and whola, no method to the madness.
My car blows hot air from the middle vents, same temperature as floor or front defroster vents. I have regular air/heat
set up in my car. If you car is not blowing hot air, either your I Drive setting is in summer mode , blue instead of orange setting or you have a defective auxillory water pump, which happened to me and which was repaired.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='415136' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:02 PM
My car blows hot air from the middle vents, same temperature as floor or front defroster vents. I have regular air/heat
set up in my car. If you car is not blowing hot air, either your I Drive setting is in summer mode , blue instead of orange setting or you have a defective auxillory water pump, which happened to me and which was repaired.
Thanks for the advice, my idrive is set correctly for max warm air, I will try the dealer tomorrow
Thanks again Nigel.