E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated rear window element

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Cleaning the rear window today and noticed quite a few gaps/breaks around 6mm wide over parts of the heating elements. I can't remember if I've used it yet but I'm wondering whether it will work or not. Does anyone else have the gaps and if so does it work ok? Anyone had BMW change theirs?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Noticed this morning it doesn't work at the top - going to have to get it replaced!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 12 2005, 10:16 AM
Noticed this morning it doesn't work at the top - going to have to get it replaced!
[snapback]127440[/snapback]
go down to the dealers and take a look at a few E60's in their showroom and/or on the approved used lot. i'll take a look at mine later but i cannot imagine the gaps would be a defect if they look deliberate that is...still stranger things have happened as they say
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I just looked at mine and I have the same thing--small, random gaps, all in the top few rows. Of course, living in the San Francisco bay area, I can't remember the last time I used the rear defroster. Not sure it's worth having them replace the rear window for this.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think you guys are seeing the diversity antenna lines and not the defroster lines. They are applied to the window in the same process so they look the same but they are connected to two different things.

I'm not looking at my car right now but I seem to remember that the window has some antenna lines at the top of the window and some lines that run vertically down the length of the window.

My bet is that there is no problem at all with the heating of the window...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 12 2005, 01:39 PM
I think you guys are seeing the diversity antenna lines and not the defroster lines.? They are applied to the window in the same process so they look the same but they are connected to two different things.

I'm not looking at my car right now but I seem to remember that the window has some antenna lines at the top of the window and some lines that run vertically down the lenght of the window.

My bet is that there is no problem at all with the heating of the window...
[snapback]127622[/snapback]
Thanks Rudy,

I think you could be right
Old 05-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: Due in May 2005 - 535d sport, Silver Grey, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood, Xenons, Adaptive Headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, 6 CD Changer, M Rear Spoiler

Tried mine this morning, with lots of condensation on the rear window, and it worked fine.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I took a few pix of my rear window heating element.

This is the driver's side--you can see the gaps, and 2 pieces of the heating element that aren't connected to anything.
Heated rear window element-driver.jpg

Here's the passenger side--more random gaps, and there are 5 more pieces that aren't connected to anything:
Heated rear window element-passenger.jpg
Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Stream,

Top man thanks for that I know its ok now. I was all set to go back to my dealers with all the "I can't believe it on a car that cost this much"

Thanks for keeping my blood pressure at normal.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='May 12 2005, 01:48 PM
Stream,

Top man thanks for that I know its ok now. ? I was all set to go back to my dealers with all the "I can't believe it on a car that cost this much"

Thanks for keeping my blood pressure at normal.
[snapback]127690[/snapback]
So your gaps and unconnected pieces are the same as mine? I tried looking at the pattern and don't see any logic to the gaps, plus the unconnected pieces baffle me.

Quick Reply: Heated rear window element