E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated Nozzles for Windscreen Washer

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

It was -2C last night/this morning

In the drive to work, over 45 mins, the windscreen washer nozzle was frozen, even though the headlamp washer sprayed fine (indicating there was sufficient de-icer in the mixture)

On my previous car, a Jaguar, it was obvious that the heating for the nozzles worked, as within 5 minutes, the frozen area on the bonnet near the nozzles would melt.

On the E60 this morning, the ice did not appear to melt around the nozzles and the washers would only work after I arrived at work and left the car to stand for 10 mins.

Could anyone inform me how the heated nozzles work, how long it takes them to work and if an area on the bonnet melts, giving an indication of correct operation.

Is this a software glitch (only apparant now there is a starter button and no position 2 for the key - the previous method for switching on the nozzle heater) or a fault with the heated washers.

many thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fenix1' post='201368' date='Nov 21 2005, 11:59 AM
It was -2C last night/this morning

In the drive to work, over 45 mins, the windscreen washer nozzle was frozen, even though the headlamp washer sprayed fine (indicating there was sufficient de-icer in the mixture)

On my previous car, a Jaguar, it was obvious that the heating for the nozzles worked, as within 5 minutes, the frozen area on the bonnet near the nozzles would melt.

On the E60 this morning, the ice did not appear to melt around the nozzles and the washers would only work after I arrived at work and left the car to stand for 10 mins.

Could anyone inform me how the heated nozzles work, how long it takes them to work and if an area on the bonnet melts, giving an indication of correct operation.

Is this a software glitch (only apparant now there is a starter button and no position 2 for the key - the previous method for switching on the nozzle heater) or a fault with the heated washers.

many thanks
Funny you should mention this, mine didn't work either the other day, although I could have sworn 12 months ago they worked a treat in sub zero temps.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

all E60's regardless engine or equipment should have heated washers right????
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='201380' date='Nov 21 2005, 01:05 PM
Yep, standard at least in the UK (and Europe?)
Old 11-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

All E60's have heated washer jets that are automatically activated when the temperature falls below 3 degrees Celsius. The jets are tied into the IHKA module regardless of whether or not the car is fitted with the "basic" or "high" climate control system...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by browellm' post='201382
Yep, standard at least in the UK (and Europe?)
[/quote]
and in Germany
Old 11-21-2005, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I also noticed this. My passenger side one seemed to work ok, but driver's side didn't. I assumed after 30 minutes driving the engine would have warmed everything through enough ?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Fenix1' post='201368' date='Nov 21 2005, 11:59 AM
Exactly the same for me..!

I let the car run for 10 minutes before I left for the office, then I drove 40 minutes in -2.5oC and only in the last 5 minutes did the screen nozzles dispense water, yet the xennon washers worked from the first request.

weird...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='201431

I let the car run for 10 minutes before I left for the office, then I drove 40 minutes in -2.5oC and only in the last 5 minutes did the screen nozzles dispense water, yet the xennon washers worked from the first request.

weird...
[/quote]

How old is your E61 ?
I am trying to work out if the problem is with software for the new key/starter button system
Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='201431

weird...
[/quote]
Probably because the Xenon washers are shielded inside the bumper?

Quick Reply: Heated Nozzles for Windscreen Washer