E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Front Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turn on the heaters for either of the two front seats, they seem to come to temperature quickly and the seats get pretty warm. After a few minutes, they seem to cool noticeably and then stay at a much lower temperature. I was wondering if this is normal or if my seat heaters are not working correctly.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='372924' date='Jan 2 2007, 07:10 AM
When I turn on the heaters for either of the two front seats, they seem to come to temperature quickly and the seats get pretty warm. After a few minutes, they seem to cool noticeably and then stay at a much lower temperature. I was wondering if this is normal or if my seat heaters are not working correctly.
That seems to be the normal operation. Don't forget that you can go into I-drive and adjust the the amount of heating that goes to the back and bottom of the front seats. That may improve the comfort for you.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

heyyyyy, I noticed that too. REgardless if I switch the heating on low (one green light) or max (3 green lights) the seat gets very very hot, almost uncomfortable. so I have to turn the whole thing off....

actually it is happening randomly.... sometimes it works fine....

maybe depending on outside temperature or AC settings???
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Interesting to hear you guys say that! My seats heatup quickly and they stay very warm until I reduce the level. They are very consistent. Maybe you should have your dealer check it out.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This may sound silly but could it be that your body is warming up enough to make it feel like the seat isn't as warm as when first activated? In other words, if you warm up to a temperature closer to that of the seat, wouldn't it feel less warm?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='372944' date='Jan 2 2007, 08:56 AM
This may sound silly but could it be that your body is warming up enough to make it feel like the seat isn't as warm as when first activated? In other words, if you warm up to a temperature closer to that of the seat, wouldn't it feel less warm?
It doesn't sound silly and I actually thought of that. However, I really don't think this is what's happening. As Peter530i mentioned, the seats get very hot very fast to the point where it is uncomfortable and then seem to cool off just as fast. I have already adjusted the cushion/back heat distribution through the I-Drive settings.

It doesn't get that cold in Atlanta so I'll just wait until I take the car in for my first service visit to have them check it out. Other than that, no issues!!! What a car!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Gotcha. I think it may be by design that the seats do an extreme heat when they're first turned on because some of that energy would be needed to heat a cold seat. (The cold seat would conduct the heat away from the person for a while, wouldn't it?) It's kind of like the heated steering wheel -- there are cold spots near the wheel's spokes since the spokes draw the heat away from the heated part.

Speaking of the seat heater distribution settings in iDrive, does anyone think that it actually does anything? I don't use it much but I seem to remember that adjusting it really doesn't make much difference...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='372951' date='Jan 2 2007, 09:28 AM
Gotcha. I think it may be by design that the seats do an extreme heat when they're first turned on because some of that energy would be needed to heat a cold seat. (The cold seat would conduct the heat away from the person for a while, wouldn't it?) It's kind of like the heated steering wheel -- there are cold spots near the wheel's spokes since the spokes draw the heat away from the heated part.

Speaking of the seat heater distribution settings in iDrive, does anyone think that it actually does anything? I don't use it much but I seem to remember that adjusting it really doesn't make much difference...
The adjustment worked on my seats - at least I know it worked on the driver's seat (haven't checked the passenger). Before adjusting, much more heat was directed to the seat cushion as opposed to the back rest with the setting mid-range. After shifting more to the back rest, the distribution is much more even.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

I too have experienced the same thing, but now I just turn it on to the first light and it works for me. But my GF on the other hand blasts on all 3 lights as soon as she gets into the car and it's funny because after like 2 mins she's screaming the seat is too hot for her ass! All good though, I should actually try to adjust the heat in the iDrive tho...........

Dan
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='372978' date='Jan 2 2007, 10:26 AM
I too have experienced the same thing, but now I just turn it on to the first light and it works for me. But my GF on the other hand blasts on all 3 lights as soon as she gets into the car and it's funny because after like 2 mins she's screaming the seat is too hot for her ass! All good though, I should actually try to adjust the heat in the iDrive tho...........

Dan
Ditto for me. I start on 1 light and it warms up quick and after few minutes maintains a comfortable heat for winter driving.

Quick Reply: Heated Front Seats