E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights in UK

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Be aware that fitting a HID kit into the standard halogen headlamp is illegal in the UK, the car may even fail the MOT depending on the tester.

My personal choice when upgrading halogen bulbs were the Osram silverstars the gave out much better a whiter light than standard bulbs and they don't cost the earth either.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='703814' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:18 PM
Be aware that fitting a HID kit into the standard halogen headlamp is illegal in the UK, the car may even fail the MOT depending on the tester.

My personal choice when upgrading halogen bulbs were the Osram silverstars the gave out much better a whiter light than standard bulbs and they don't cost the earth either.
For the purposes of an MOT, there must be a clearly defined beam pattern suitable for driving on the left with the pattern at the correct height. The colour must be yellow or white as judged by the tester. That's it.

With the projector lights in the LCI there is a very clear beam pattern so I don't see this as a worry.

The uprated lamps I had lasted less than a year whilst I would expect the HIDs to last at least 5 years.

Regards,
Old 10-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='703847' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:25 AM
For the purposes of an MOT, there must be a clearly defined beam pattern suitable for driving on the left with the pattern at the correct height. The colour must be yellow or white as judged by the tester. That's it.

With the projector lights in the LCI there is a very clear beam pattern so I don't see this as a worry.

The uprated lamps I had lasted less than a year whilst I would expect the HIDs to last at least 5 years.

Regards,
Which 6k kit did you go fo?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='703847' date='Oct 26 2008, 03:25 PM

Heres a quote from the DOT

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078
London Fax: 020 7944 2196
SW1P 4DR Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Wow, thanks very much for a comprehensive response.

I better take them off then.

Regards,
Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='704417' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:59 AM
Wow, thanks very much for a comprehensive response.

I better take them off then.

Regards,
I've never had them before - so I've decided to just get some decent OSRAM bulbs when it really starts to get dark. Ultimately it's up to you if you want to bum the law, but is it really worth it? The standard lights aren't great, but unless you do a lot of night time A road/in-the-sticks driving, they do the job OK. Stick within speed limits at night and all seems fine...

Next car I buy WILL have factory Xenon's...