E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights in UK

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that the night vision is quite feable with the standard lights (the adjustmnt is set correctly) . I'm not one for new ballasts and HID's, so was wondering what the Phillips +80, or OSRAM etc are like, and whether anyone has any idea about the different bulbs and how much better they really are, where to buy?

The manufacturers all make their claims, but what are they honestly like? If you use DRL, will they burn out quicker?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Your right the standard lights in low beam are quite poor, I had them in my 2004 E61.

I put in some up rated bulbs, supposedly with Xenon technology, and claiming 50% brighter. I didn't notice any improvement
Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='661567' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:20 AM
I find that the night vision is quite feable with the standard lights (the adjustmnt is set correctly) . I'm not one for new ballasts and HID's, so was wondering what the Phillips +80, or OSRAM etc are like, and whether anyone has any idea about the different bulbs and how much better they really are, where to buy?

The manufacturers all make their claims, but what are they honestly like? If you use DRL, will they burn out quicker?
I installed Osram Nightbreakers and there was a noticeable improvement. I think they cost about ?50 for 4.

The downside is that they don't last very long. 2 out of 4 have died in just 11 months so as they fail I am gradually returning to the standard bulbs.

Obviously they will last longer in the main beams as they get much less use...

Anyway, forget bulbs, get yourself Sports auto!

Regards,
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='661574' date='Sep 4 2008, 05:39 AM
I installed Osram Nightbreakers and there was a noticeable improvement. I think they cost about ?50 for 4.

The downside is that they don't last very long. 2 out of 4 have died in just 11 months so as they fail I am gradually returning to the standard bulbs.

Obviously they will last longer in the main beams as they get much less use...

Anyway, forget bulbs, get yourself Sports auto!

Regards,
Cheers guys -
What do ou mean "Sports Auto"? Is it the 2TB Transmission from the 530? Or something else?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I used to use the Philips Nightguide bulbs in my E39, but I believe they are not suitable for use in the UK. It's a shame, because they were a significant improvement over the standard bulbs that came in the E39.

I did find myself in the UK once needing replacement bulbs and found a similar type on sale in Halfords. Can't remember the brand, but they did the job almost as well as the Nightguides. I'd recommend popping into a large Halfords near you and have a close look at what they've got.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='661580' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:55 AM
Cheers guys -
What do ou mean "Sports Auto"? Is it the 2TB Transmission from the 530? Or something else?
Yes it is - see parts and mods page for more details

Regards,
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Members

Changing bulbs alone doesn't make much difference.
I've changed mine to a HID kit and it's fantastic. Upgraded the main beam bulbs to some super normal type ones but they just look so feable compared to the low beam HIDs.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='661652' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:44 PM
Changing bulbs alone doesn't make much difference.
I've changed mine to a HID kit and it's fantastic. Upgraded the main beam bulbs to some super normal type ones but they just look so feable compared to the low beam HIDs.
Tell me, how easy was the conversion?

Were there any issues with check control messages etc?

Costs?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='661567' date='Sep 4 2008, 01:20 PM

Hi ,
I have replaced my standard H7 bulbs with Phillips X-Treme Power. They are street legal and the result is very good. They are a bit pricey but they worth every penny. If you are willing to spend a bit more, you can replace your halogen fog lights with xenon ones (PM Eric @ elite_motorsports_BMW). I replaced my fog lights recently and the result is great.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520D SE

Hi,

I upgraded my dullish yellow headlights to bright white H7's and the difference in look is great...try www.powerbulbs.co.uk ... I cant comment on how long they last coz i've just put them in! Also changed the halo rings from yellow to bright white with Pingu's bulbs...that made a striking difference...

Quick Reply: Headlights in UK