E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights restored...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack be Quick
I ran a hair dryer in the, used an air compressor, and let them sit in the sun for a few hours trying to get as much of the moisture out as possible.

I put black silicone all the way around where ever the clear lens meet with the black housing. There is a gasket / bonding agent between the two along with a couple screws and snap clips. I ran a bead of silicone all around it and made sure to work it down into the seam as best possible.

For the access panels, I lined the sealing foam in the panel with 'bulb grease' which is available at AutoZone. Typically you use this non drying electrical grease to seal electrical connections, and connections around fog lights...

No new condensation has shown up this week but, I'll keep an eye on it over the next month or so to see what it does. I looked over the housing and lens carefully and did not see any other cracks or breaks in them so hopefully this will cure or at least help keep it to a minimum.
Thanks for the descriptive post!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The headlights are designed to let air in and out. This is necessary to relieve pressures from cool to hot air (or vise versa). So, unless you plugged the air vent, you cannot stop the moisture from getting in.. However, from normal use of the headlights, the moisture should be expelled. Good job on the polishing. I did that once myself and from now on pay others to do it...just not worth the effort to me based on what others charge.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: FX35 Supercharged

Hot dawggy. Man, i just might have to embark on this little journey because my headlights look aweful.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Billy Boat w/ y-resonator removed.

So far, no new condensation. They look great. Upgraded the fog light bulbs and started cleaning those lens up also.

Yes, there are to two air vents in the light housings with elbow shaped rubber hoses. I did not plug these as they are designed to let air in and out but should not allow excessive moisture in based on how they are shaped and positioned. I believe that excessive moisture was coming in somewhere else around the housing and either the bulb grease or silicone sealed it up.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Dremers
Hot dawggy. Man, i just might have to embark on this little journey because my headlights look aweful.
In my experience this much work it far from necessary - it's all about finding the right equipment to get this job done quickly and easily.
I use a Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit and it works wonders in a matter of minutes! The kit just comes with a polish and a soft head which attaches to a power drill for the best results.

Simply spread the polish over the headlights and get to work with the power drill. After the drill attachment wipes away most of the polish just take a wet cloth and wipe down the headlight. Repeat this as many times as necessary to get them looking brand new (I usually go over each light 2 times - maybe 3 if they're really bad).
I did this to both my 335/535i and the headlights/fogs looked brand new when I was done. I also did this to my old '93 Mercedes 300e and a few of my friends cars - the results are always amazing!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used another way to restore headlights. I restored the protective coating by urethane 2K clearcoat, I used Spraymax Headlights Restoration Kit (contains sealer spray + 2K urethane clearcoat):