E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights questions, Yes I have searched! lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights questions, Yes I have searched! lol

And no joke lol. I joined this site a while ago but haven't posted at all. This is actually my first post. Anyways, im a truck guy, have a 2008 F350. But my dad has a 2004 E60 530I "sport" that has seen better days. With that said we're looking to do some freshening up.

To this regard, i'm wanting to install LCI headlights but have searched everything and everywhere. Everyone who has said anything about this says that you can go from pre LCI xenon to LCI xenon. or LCI halogen to LCI Xenon. I've noticed headlight assemblies are quite a bit cheaper if you get the LCI halogen style. Keep in mind his E60 doesn't have adaptive lights.

So my question is, is it possible to go from Pre LCI Xenon to LCI halogen but then of course install an HID kit?

Or maybe can someone who is more knowledgeable point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You can do anything you want to the e60 if you have the knowledge. Post up what his vehicle order, last 7 of the VIN would be good for us to check. I guess it all comes down to cost. Installing an aftermarket HID could be an option but you will also have to put error cancel packs inline with them and probably have to do a bit of retrofitting on the connectors. If you want to do it right and go with LCI you should upgrade to the LMA2 (light switch module) but it all depends what you're looking to do.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 AM
New Members

Awesome! I really didn't think i'd get a response but i'll get that info and post it up tomorrow.

Also, currently the "eyebrows" and led lights on the side of the headlights/tail lights don't light up. Could this have been turned off by the previous owner by different "coding"? As far as connector retrofitting and modifying that isn't new to me.

If I were to get the regular LCI xenon headlights and do it the "right way" what vehicle do I need to get the LMA2 out of? Or does it also come out of an E60 that already has LCI? Also does it matter which type of LCI xenon lights I get? In regards to the adaptive lights or non adaptive lights. (And if I got the adaptive lights, could I get them to work on his E60 that didn't have adaptive lights?

Ugh sorry lots of questions! But appreciate the responses and information.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Contributors

In my humble opinion spending money to "dress up" a 2004 e60 is not what I'd do - since a headlight upgrade can be a bit pricey. I'd save $$'s for repairs that will certainly increase as the car grows older. That said, if you want to improve lighting of the current set-up you might try something simple like replacing the standard halogen bulbs with these > https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx

Others might suggest HID or some aftermarket super-duper bright blue etc etc etc ... but these are a better way in my humble opinion. Phillips and GE make a similar halogen product; most are available in auto/big box stores and Sylvania/Osram frequently has coupons at their website for retail purchase.

I've used the ULTRAs on two of my previous cars (non-xenon) - they are noticeably brighter and whiter with reasonably long-life.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Anything is possible ... but Xenon -> Halogen that a way step down not to mention the car will give all kind of errors & warnings (the car computer check & expecting Xenon but find Halogen so different load etc).

Also, AFAIK all US market Xenon are all adaptive ... check the ring surround the lens for "adaptive" indication wording on your car ... I maybe wrong for 1st generation model.

As for LM2 you have to use from Sep. '06+ build (likely model year '07)... also swapping require programming not just a simple swap.

Originally Posted by entrophy0311
[...]

So my question is, is it possible to go from Pre LCI Xenon to LCI halogen but then of course install an HID kit?
[...]

Last edited by BlaSTiWi; 11-16-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

It will be expensive to go from pre-lci to lci. If you have the extra money than go for it but you will need someone to code the car for the new headlights and you will have to change your wiring for lci. With BMW's its so much easier to buy the car with the options you want instead of getting them after you have the car.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 AM
New Members

Sorry I should've made myself more clear. The vehicle already has factory xenons. And when you do turn the car on the headlights move around a little bit (I can only tell when in the garage with the beams shining against the wall) but they don't move with the steering wheel) The whole reason for "dressing up" is because the stock headlights are so faded and fogged up (one is cracked allowing condensation to form) that it just looks hideous. The rest of the car is in pretty good condition. The front bumper could and probably will get repainted due to numerous rock nicks.

I guess maybe it isn't worth the trouble to do the LCI conversion. Does anyone know where to find a good set of pre LCI xenon headlights? Or does anyone have any for sale?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by entrophy0311
Awesome! I really didn't think i'd get a response but i'll get that info and post it up tomorrow.

Also, currently the "eyebrows" and led lights on the side of the headlights/tail lights don't light up. Could this have been turned off by the previous owner by different "coding"? As far as connector retrofitting and modifying that isn't new to me.

If I were to get the regular LCI xenon headlights and do it the "right way" what vehicle do I need to get the LMA2 out of? Or does it also come out of an E60 that already has LCI? Also does it matter which type of LCI xenon lights I get? In regards to the adaptive lights or non adaptive lights. (And if I got the adaptive lights, could I get them to work on his E60 that didn't have adaptive lights?

Ugh sorry lots of questions! But appreciate the responses and information.
I belive you can get any LM2 from E90, E60, E65, E63, I know that definitely an E65 will work. They're all the same modules. Just need to flash them for your car.
Yes, the eyebrows are turned off right now. Someone has modified the coding for your current LMA to take them out. Personally I like it that way and I coded mine out. You're going to have to get yourself some reliable BMW software to do this project either way.

Yes if you get adaptive lights you can get them to work...but you are jumping from pre-LCI to LCI so more work would need to be done including going with the LM2

OP - if your currently have adaptive headlights test by putting in Auto mode on the switch and turning the wheel to the right. If they move the are adaptive.

Last edited by AchtungE60; 11-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:40 PM
New Members

last 7 of the vin=B064349 the ring around the projector says "BMW dynamic xenon". So as far as the coding goes, is this something that the dealership can do? Or something that BMW enthusiasts with the proper computer/software/cable need to do?
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the existing headlamps refurbished. Essentially you take them out sand off all marks, use finer and finer grit until you're at 1500 then clear coat them.

A paint shop should be able to do this - you do need proper automotive clear lacquer.

Once done they look brand new - I'm still amazed at mine. I did them 3 months ago.

Quick Reply: Headlights questions, Yes I have searched! lol