E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights in auto mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

There has been a lot of discussoin about this; search and ye shall find. But be aware that the sensor measures INFRARED levels, and thus, if they are on too soon or too much (as are mine), the sensor needs to be set to it's MOST SENSITIVE level in order to reduce operation in daylight conditions.

For the price of this system, you'd think it would behave a little more rationally, but it's typical German over-engineering that ensures that the lights will be on more, rather than LESS (like the over-reading speedometers, as required by law??).

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Members

Hi

I live in Spain, where there is a lot of sunshine. I have got the same problem with my car lights in auto mode. Most of the time they are on and every body flashes their lcar ights to me, as to advert.

The salesman told me that when you turn the switch to auto, the device takes that level of intensity of light as minimum. I went to a very dark place and turned it to auto. Lights get on. Every increase of external light is enough to turn off the system, and then you drive with no further problem.

But this motion does not last for ever. Occasionally I have to tepeat the operation, since the lights are again on when they should not...So I have to repeat operation.

What you get is some kind of "Nordic" complex in a country like Spain where 300 days per year there are clear skies..
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' post='54151' date='Nov 9 2004, 08:20 AM
Today with a very low shining sun my auto headlights also turned on by themselves. I'm not too anoyed by it as long as they turn on when it becomes dark!
My manual says that this is normal. I always turn on my lights in sunrise and sundown time periods to be sure that I am seen by others. The sun at low angles can blind drivers facing the sun.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by seakat' post='53926' date='Nov 9 2004, 12:13 AM
I've noticed on several occasions that, having the headlights switch in auto mode, the system decides to switch them on for apparently no good reason.
Having the lights on all the time is a good reason!

In the Scandinavian countries you have to have them on at all times.

The sunnyer the weather is the more important it is!

Safe rides!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by hmc' post='228909' date='Jan 24 2006, 03:19 PM
I noticed that my car has the exact same behavior as seakat's car (1st post). It's completely sunny here in San Diego and my headlights stays on like an idiot, even at 10:00am facing directly to the sun!

Dealer can't figure out why. Sensitivity set to "Very sensitive" and software upgrade (to CIP 20.00.00) do not help.

That's German Engineering...
I got my car back from service yesterday and one of the reasons it went in was beacuse of the Auto Headlights being on all the time even in bright sun light There is nothing that can be done,its set to Very Sensitive.The service manger left the Service Information Bulletin on my seat so I could read it.
http://www.bmwtis.net/tsb/measures/h...3.B6320204.htm
Hope this explication helps
cheers
vern
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Mine are on all the time - I suspect it is the lack of Sun we get here in Ohio in the Winter - but they do come on more than they did in my old GM car
Old 01-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Moving from the M-B E-Class Ive noticed that the auto headlight & rain sensing wipers are not as good as the M-B. With the M-B they came on at dusk or if you went into a tunnel, the rain sensing wipers were on all the time you had them set, and obviously worked when it rained even after turning off the ignition & turning it on again unlike the 5.
The headlight wash is also better on the M-B. Another stupid thing with the 5 is the parking sensors, if you pull up to an object at the front they do not self activate unless you select reverse gear or push the sensor button on, in the M-B they just well work.

On the plus side the M-B has the silly foot brake whos pedal is right by your left foot as an obvious impliment to injure in a front end accident, the hand brake is so much better. The left foot rest in any M-B is dam right uncomfortable and a joke for an expensive car, so much better in the 5. The M-B standard front seats are uncomfortable & I could never get the headrests into a comfortable position, unlike the great seats in the five. The rear seat in the M-B was never designed for five people as the centre was hard and ridged, although the rear arm rest does have better cup holders.