E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

First off, let the jokes ensue... get it out of your system. I know I would if someone posted "headlights" lol

Second, I adjusted the height setting on one of my headlamps (Xenon '02) and found the left to right adjustment setting. I know if the past I asked my daler to check the left to right allignment of the lights cause it looked like my drivers sight lamp was pointing to the right. They said that was normal and by design.

This am in the parking garage I set the height properly and also pulled the drivers lamp to a more forward direction (the top point or crest of the beam is facing forward hopefully that makes sense) but it seemed when I did this that the screw adjuster was almost at its full left position. This makes me thing maybe they are supposed to look right a little. That and the beam eminating from the lamp looking at the plastic headlamp cover was looking to the left.

This is a bad descriptiuon but my quesiton mainly is whether anyone knows of a standard for setting the lamps direction?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Your dealer is correct. The left headlight should point to the right. Getting high-beamed by oncoming traffic is another indicator you're out of adjustment.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

Thank you!!!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I always warn people who attempt to aim their headlights by themselves that it is critical that they get it right since getting it wrong may cause a major safety issue with oncoming traffic.

That said, if you still want to tackle this job yourself, look over the following post:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=237331
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

You say '02????

What year is your car? Also, aren't most of the 5er bi-xenons the "steering" type? They have to be in "auto" mode to do that though...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Black On Black Sport/Premium Package

I was just gonna post a topic asking a question about my Adaptive Xenons's but then I saw this thread so I thought why open another one, ok so here goes...

I've been noticing for the past while when I drive at night that my Xenons tend to point down really close in front of my car like maybe 10 ft at the most, and then only sometimes when I am driving on the freeway with no one infront of me do they adjust up to illuminate a greater distance which i assume is how they are supposed to be generally. I assume they were meant to point downwards when coming up behind another car so as to not shine into the other drivers rear-view but mine stay pointed down quite often even on empty roads. Not sure what the deal is, any ideas?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BG_Boy' post='1007185' date='Sep 14 2009, 09:47 AM
I was just gonna post a topic asking a question about my Adaptive Xenons's but then I saw this thread so I thought why open another one, ok so here goes...

I've been noticing for the past while when I drive at night that my Xenons tend to point down really close in front of my car like maybe 10 ft at the most, and then only sometimes when I am driving on the freeway with no one infront of me do they adjust up to illuminate a greater distance which i assume is how they are supposed to be generally. I assume they were meant to point downwards when coming up behind another car so as to not shine into the other drivers rear-view but mine stay pointed down quite often even on empty roads. Not sure what the deal is, any ideas?

adaptive means that they adjust light output based on speed. Its in the owners manual.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jprovence' post='1007593' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:27 PM
adaptive means that they adjust light output based on speed. Its in the owners manual.
Unless I'm missing something, I think the adaptive lights, based on steering and speed, adjust the direction the light is output, not the actual light output.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Black On Black Sport/Premium Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1007665' date='Sep 14 2009, 08:38 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I think the adaptive lights, based on steering and speed, adjust the direction the light is output, not the actual light output.
Of course Im talking about the direction. My problem is that sometimes when driving on a road with no streetlights, late at night for example that my Xenons aren't illuminating far enough ahead but rather just in front of the car 10 ft at the most and then almost randomly increase the distance and area they illuminate prior to pointing back downwards again.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BG_Boy' post='1008403' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:28 PM
Of course Im talking about the direction. My problem is that sometimes when driving on a road with no streetlights, late at night for example that my Xenons aren't illuminating far enough ahead but rather just in front of the car 10 ft at the most and then almost randomly increase the distance and area they illuminate prior to pointing back downwards again.
I realize you are talking about direction but I'm not so sure about the guy I quoted (jprovence).

The lights are supposed to self level and are connected to the suspension. It's possible that something isn't right with your car in terms of the overall system and it's functions or, it could simply be an aim issue.

One thing I'll mention is that many people complain about them being too low so you might just have an aim problem but if the lights seem to be moving randomly or erratically, then it may be something else...

Quick Reply: Headlights