E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washers are p_ _ _ ing me off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Living in a winter climate, I so look forward to my once a week car wash, where my E60 shines for a couple of days, if it is dry out.

Such was the case yesterday until after having to drive on the highway for a short distance I needed to spray a touch of washer onto my windshield to clear some dry dirt off. (I am the type of guy that drives around puddles after I have my car washed.) Anyways, I have mastered the window washer so that with a very quick flick of my finger just a bit of washer comes out so that the wipers don't throw everything all over the roof of my car. So I flick, clean my window and all of a sudden the headlight washers decide IT IS TIME
and presto my complete hood is soaked.

Wish we had the ability to decide ourselves when this contraption would work or not work.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by gabman' post='213300' date='Dec 19 2005, 08:37 PM
Wish we had the ability to decide ourselves when this contraption would work or not work.
I haven't tried this, but I would assume that if you were to shut off the headlamps prior to your shimmy with the washer stalk, then the headlamp washers would not operate - or is that assuming too much..?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='213305
I haven't tried this, but I would assume that if you were to shut off the headlamps prior to your shimmy with the washer stalk, then the headlamp washers would not operate - or is that assuming too much..?
[/quote]

Hmmmm, always keep my lights on auto, so are you saying that in off postion the cleaner is deactivated?
Damn, I knew there was a reason why they gave me that manual. Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My exact ideea Andy, but then again, we're in Europe so maybe DRL it is an option in iDrive only for us, not for the guy in Canada...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by gabman' post='213300' date='Dec 19 2005, 03:37 PM
Living in a winter climate, I so look forward to my once a week car wash, where my E60 shines for a couple of days, if it is dry out.

Such was the case yesterday until after having to drive on the highway for a short distance I needed to spray a touch of washer onto my windshield to clear some dry dirt off. (I am the type of guy that drives around puddles after I have my car washed.) Anyways, I have mastered the window washer so that with a very quick flick of my finger just a bit of washer comes out so that the wipers don't throw everything all over the roof of my car. So I flick, clean my window and all of a sudden the headlight washers decide IT IS TIME

I am sad for you gabman. That's the reason I am so happy I don't have the cold weather package. And, sometimes one may want to wash the windshied at night, but I quess he or she could pull over and turn the lights off before doing so--assuming that trick works.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Headlights on: First pull on washer = windshield + headlights, every fifth pull thereafter.
Headlights off: Just windshield.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by gabman' post='213300' date='Dec 19 2005, 03:37 PM

Yup. Just shot em off and they'll get washed on the FIFTH windshield wash, if you don't trigger them together.

RayHull
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

fifth time works only on US cars? We have to have DRL in Canada. It's the law. Gabman what did you find out? I'll need to know too for when the sweetheart shows up! Where abouts in Canada are you? Any other quirks you have discovered?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gabman' post='213300' date='Dec 19 2005, 10:37 PM

I know exactly what you mean.

Go to the dealer's and tell them to disconned the washers.

Or just wait until they freeze...
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Pull the fuse for it. It's in the glovebox - Refer to the diagram in your toolkit to see which one.

Quick Reply: Headlight washers are p_ _ _ ing me off.