E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550, premium, sport, nav, bluetooth, satellite, cold, M5/Mtech front bumper and side skirts, matte black kidney grilles, M5 fender grilles, M5 mirrors, euro stickers, 35% tint, 20" Miro 111s (summer), 18" VMR VB3s w/ 10 mm H&R spacers (winter)

Since I got my car back from having new springs installed, I've noticed that the headlight auto leveling is higher than it was before. For example, when I am following another car, my headlights are almost shining in the car's rear view mirror. I also have on-coming traffic flashing their lights at me, as they assume I have my brights on. I'm guessing the auto leveling and/or adaptive element of the headlights is somehow connected to the suspension? Would anyone have any information on this? I'm going to have to take it back to the shop to get it fixed but would like to have some concrete information to share with them. Any info or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by black530e60' post='237258' date='Feb 9 2006, 07:57 AM
Since I got my car back from having new springs installed, I've noticed that the headlight auto leveling is higher than it was before. For example, when I am following another car, my headlights are almost shining in the car's rear view mirror. I also have on-coming traffic flashing their lights at me, as they assume I have my brights on. I'm guessing the auto leveling and/or adaptive element of the headlights is somehow connected to the suspension? Would anyone have any information on this? I'm going to have to take it back to the shop to get it fixed but would like to have some concrete information to share with them. Any info or similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did a BMW dealer or independent install your new springs?
cheers
vern
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think the lights are "connected" in any way to the suspension but if the springs weren't installed properly, they could be making the whole car a bit higher, couldn't they?

vern's question is a good one -- I'm curious about the same thing...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550, premium, sport, nav, bluetooth, satellite, cold, M5/Mtech front bumper and side skirts, matte black kidney grilles, M5 fender grilles, M5 mirrors, euro stickers, 35% tint, 20" Miro 111s (summer), 18" VMR VB3s w/ 10 mm H&R spacers (winter)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='237291' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:24 AM
I don't think the lights are "connected" in any way to the suspension but if the springs weren't installed properly, they could be making the whole car a bit higher, couldn't they?

Independent. The dealer wouldn't install non-OEM springs. As for the car sitting higher. They are lowering springs. The springs dropped the car about 1.5". I'm pretty sure they were installed properly. This guy is very good. Worked on Bobby Rahal's team for years... guy knows what he's doing.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Did the rear of the car get lowered more than the front of the car? It's just a thought, I guess.

I'm sure your mechanic is competent but then again, these cars are so complex that even the most competent mechanic should have access to the BMW technical documentation to perform tasks that might have been routine in the past...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by black530e60' post='237298

Independent. The dealer wouldn't install non-OEM springs. As for the car sitting higher. They are lowering springs. The springs dropped the car about 1.5". I'm pretty sure they were installed properly. This guy is very good. Worked on Bobby Rahal's team for years... guy knows what he's doing.
[/quote]
He might know what he is doing are far as the suspension but my bet is he don't have a clue about the leveling devise which has to be corrected. You might have to go back to your dealer any way.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation.

On my Mercedes, auto leveling of the lights was connected to the suspension. A sensor of some kind was placed on the rear axle to determine height of the vehicle. This same sensor was used for both self leveling of the car and self leveling of the headlights.

When I did some suspension work on the car, I needed to manually re-adjust the headlights and give it a "new" starting point (neutral level point). Once the lights were manually adjusted for height, self leveling made sure to keep the lights level under various load conditions.

Don't know if this applies to the E60, but that is my 2 cents for what it is worth.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by black530e60' post='237258' date='Feb 9 2006, 04:57 AM
There is a headlight level sensor attached to the right front suspension. Since you lowered your car the sensor is falsely indicating a compressed suspension condition causing the headlight aim to be raised. Assuming there is sufficient adjustment range available (and there should be) you can adjust the headlight level yourself to accommodate the effect of your new springs. Each headlight unit has two adjustment devices, they are white with a hex-head (and inside that a phillips screw head) opening. The inboard (closest to the radiator) ones adjust vertical aim. Turn them clockwise to lower the headlight aim, counter-clockwise to raise it. From the sound of it I would try half a turn clockwise and see how that works.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

5 Rakete is correct -- there is a ride height sensor on the front and rear axles that will affect headlight vertical aim.

BMW recommends that you adjust the headlights after replacing the sensor (which it sounds like you didn't) but it makes sense that if you lower the car, you'd have to reset things as well. It's also recommended that you initialize the FTM too so you might as well do that since it's a no-brainer.

Here's a quick look at how to adjust the headlights:

Adjusting headlights:
1d_RA__Adjusting_headlights.pdf
Test requirements for headlight adjustment:
1da_RA__Test_requirements_for_headlight_vertical_aim_adjustment.pdf

This is the first time I remember seeing this issue come up after lowering the car -- did I miss anything from the past? I seem to remember other members lowering their cars. Either they all need headlight adjustments now or black530e60's install did something to disturb the ride height sensor...
Old 02-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='237331' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:26 AM
5 Rakete is correct -- there is a ride height sensor on the front and rear axles that will affect headlight vertical aim.

BMW recommends that you adjust the headlights after replacing the sensor (which it sounds like you didn't) but it makes sense that if you lower the car, you'd have to reset things as well. It's also recommended that you initialize the FTM too so you might as well do that since it's a no-brainer.

Here's a quick look at how to adjust the headlights:

Adjusting headlights:
Attachment 15306
Test requirements for headlight adjustment:
Attachment 15307

This is the first time I remember seeing this issue come up after lowering the car -- did I miss anything from the past? I seem to remember other members lowering their cars. Either they all need headlight adjustments now or black530e60's install did something to disturb the ride height sensor...
Rakete/Rudy - thanks for the detailed info!! I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem