E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current: 2005 E87 120d, 2001 E46 M3 Ordered: E60 530d

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='351175' date='Nov 1 2006, 06:03 PM
I've noticed my headlights( adaptive xenon with high beam assist ) on high beam were very weak.

I've now discovered that when on high beam , the Xenons go up onto high beam, but the inner non-Xenon head lights ( the ones for high beam only )don't switch on at all; this is the same whether the lights are on auto or not, or whether high beam assist is on or not.

If you pull the left hand stalk towards you to flash the headlights, the inner head lights work as they should, so its not a fuse or bulbs.

Down to the dealer and....surprise, surprise...suspect software problem

Anyone else seen anything like this?
Your described behaviour is normal when you have "high beam assist". Without this feature your car will use the outer lights (Xenon) and the inner ones (darker Halogen) for high beam.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

OK, this has me really confused.

My last E60 with adaptive Xenons ( but with no high beam assist ) , had all four headlights ON when on high beam - the Xenon using the shutter to raise the beam, the inner pair just straight halogens.

My wife's 1 series with Xenons has all 4 headlights on for highbeam - and they are MUCH brighter than mine, with a far better range.

The dealer has confirmed that all 4 should operate on highbeam...

but it seems like some people's E60s have all four on, and some don't ( within Europe at least )

I wonder if there's an underlying software problem - its taken me 6 months to work out why the headlights on my current E60 were far weaker than my last one - and a number of us are driving around cars with only half the headlight power for high beam?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by dawi' post='351319' date='Nov 2 2006, 12:59 AM
What date did you get your 5 series? Mine was manufactured in April 2006. It seems very strange that both myself and PoleApart have this feature and you don't. Mine is a UK spec car straight from the factory with no modifications.
It's an April 2005 car, and AFAIK it is still running the "original" software. I'm starting to think this is the cause of the different behaviour.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='351444' date='Nov 2 2006, 09:15 AM
It's an April 2005 car, and AFAIK it is still running the "original" software. I'm starting to think this is the cause of the different behaviour.
I think we may have discovered the reason for these anomolies then. You'll have to see if you can get your car fixed to display all four lights on high beam as it seems a waste just to use these for the flash function.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Originally Posted by dawi' post='351466' date='Nov 2 2006, 11:28 AM
I think we may have discovered the reason for these anomolies then. You'll have to see if you can get your car fixed to display all four lights on high beam as it seems a waste just to use these for the flash function.
Any idea what CIP your car is running - mine is an April 06 build, running CIP 21

Car is going into dealer tomorrow to be fixed - they agree with me that the inner lights should operate on high beam.

By the way, BMW describe these inner lights as ' high beam headlights ', which would suggest they should be on when on high beam
Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='351443
Not worth a dealer visit on its own. When it goes in for a service, then...
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by cerbera' post='351469' date='Nov 2 2006, 11:54 AM
Any idea what CIP your car is running - mine is an April 06 build, running CIP 21

Car is going into dealer tomorrow to be fixed - they agree with me that the inner lights should operate on high beam.

By the way, BMW describe these inner lights as ' high beam headlights ', which would suggest they should be on when on high beam
Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant here. I don't even know what CIP means?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by dawi' post='351487' date='Nov 2 2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant here. I don't even know what CIP means?
You're not ingnorant, just a little new CIP is short for Coding, Individualization, Programming the former name for our software versions. Started at v10.xx and now up to 23.xx. The current BMW name is PROGMAN short for Program Manager, but is still the same thing. If you look at this sticky you will find a list of all the releases through 23.xx

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19188
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

For the record I'm running CIP 23.xx after an upgrade this summer but my inner lights have always been on with main beam. On a dark night they do make a difference compared to just the outside lights.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='351498' date='Nov 2 2006, 02:31 PM
You're not ingnorant, just a little new CIP is short for Coding, Individualization, Programming the former name for our software versions. Started at v10.xx and now up to 23.xx. The current BMW name is PROGMAN short for Program Manager, but is still the same thing. If you look at this sticky you will find a list of all the releases through 23.xx

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19188
Thanks for the explanation cobradav - good to know that I can rely on people like you on this forum to enlighten us newbies !!

Quick Reply: Headlight malfunction