E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlamp when it rains....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Check out 'youtube' with the following search. He makes it look easy. Almost 310,000 views.

"BMW E60 angel eyes replacement installation right side"
Wow.. that was awesome ..exactly what I was looking for... now, I know I can do it even if I get home late at night, and there is some light outside .
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Members

Hmmmmmmmmm...
I have the headlights open right now (Pictures attached).. however, it seems perfectly dry... dont really see any place from where water can seep in.. if it was not happening after rains, and would start working in a day or two when it was dry and sunny outside, I would think its igniter issue (coz I checked last night and the light tries to turn on, but then fails). Wires too seem dry...
I took out the ignitier, and other box with it (btw, is that for the Adaptive Headlights), and they are perfectly sealed as well). Now thinking of baking the light for an hr or so (at 180 F), and see if it works or not... was thinking of blowing air through it, but it may introduce dust inside. 180 degree F should be fine, as they usually back them to 225/240 F for the sealant to loosen up.

Will try putting it on afterwards, and see if it works.. otherwise, may have to take the other light off, and switch to see if that works (and its not a wiring issue).

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Headlamp when it rains....-clifton-20120914-00079.jpg   Headlamp when it rains....-clifton-20120914-00081.jpg   Headlamp when it rains....-img-20120914-00080.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Is the cover on the back intact? I can't tell from the pictures, although it would have been clear to you when you removed the headlight. The two tabs on the top are prone to breaking off, then the cover flops open and water gets in. The first thing to go is the circuitry at the bottom that controls the adaptive headlight. I had to replace the circuit boards. You can buy replacement covers for about $20 or so. The dealer even had them in stock.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
Is the cover on the back intact? I can't tell from the pictures, although it would have been clear to you when you removed the headlight. The two tabs on the top are prone to breaking off, then the cover flops open and water gets in. The first thing to go is the circuitry at the bottom that controls the adaptive headlight. I had to replace the circuit boards. You can buy replacement covers for about $20 or so. The dealer even had them in stock.
The cover seems perfectly intact... thats why I didnt even open it (I know I may break its tabs)... I am hoping if it starts turning on again, I will apply some silicone around that cover anyway, in case water is going in from there.
I am a bit confuse...
1. when you say replacement covers for 20 bucks, is that the same cover I just talked about above, with two tabs to flip it open?
2. So, one of the two silver boxes at the bottom (one is the igniter) is the circuitry for adaptive headlight? I guess, I can take it out of the other headlamp, and see if connected to this one, it works or not. How much is that, any idea?
3. When you say you replace the circuit boards, are you referring to the boxes at the bottom? Which one in perticular?
Thanks again
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by umermariner
The cover seems perfectly intact... thats why I didnt even open it (I know I may break its tabs)... I am hoping if it starts turning on again, I will apply some silicone around that cover anyway, in case water is going in from there.
I am a bit confuse...
1. when you say replacement covers for 20 bucks, is that the same cover I just talked about above, with two tabs to flip it open?
2. So, one of the two silver boxes at the bottom (one is the igniter) is the circuitry for adaptive headlight? I guess, I can take it out of the other headlamp, and see if connected to this one, it works or not. How much is that, any idea?
3. When you say you replace the circuit boards, are you referring to the boxes at the bottom? Which one in perticular?
Thanks again
1. Yes, same cover. Any time you pop the hood to check oil, coolant, etc. have a quick look at the headlight cover tabs.
2. I don't remember physically which one controls the adaptive headlight, but it's definitely there at the bottom. I think it cost something like $300. If I remember correctly, there was some coding involved to make the new one function with the rest of the car, so swapping with the other one may not work. Somebody else may be able to set us both straight on that.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Members

1. Yes, same cover. Any time you pop the hood to check oil, coolant, etc. have a quick look at the headlight cover tabs.
2. I don't remember physically which one controls the adaptive headlight, but it's definitely there at the bottom. I think it cost something like $300. If I remember correctly, there was some coding involved to make the new one function with the rest of the car, so swapping with the other one may not work. Somebody else may be able to set us both straight on that.
Yes.. thats what I heard.. some coding involve.. I actually go the cable, and started coding.. still getting comfortable with it ...
I guess I am going to take the other light out, while this one is cooking
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Members

Lights are a bit easier to get in and out if you pull off the plastic strip that holds the rubber seal strip (just pull it up), and remove the 5 screws holding the middle section of the bumper cover. Being able to bend the bumper cover out of the way is helpful.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Members

Lights are a bit easier to get in and out if you pull off the plastic strip that holds the rubber seal strip (just pull it up), and remove the 5 screws holding the middle section of the bumper cover. Being able to bend the bumper cover out of the way is helpful.
Thanks...
Mission failed ... baked that light for 2-3 hours, and put it back in.. didnt turn on.. took out the other light, and put it here, it was fine... So definitely something wrong with this one .
I couldnt try putting in the igniter from other light in this one to check it (it was glued in the other light.. seems like the previous owner glued it so no water gets in ... so didnt want to mess with it).
Now, its either the bulb, or the igniter... I am pretty sure its igniter, as the bulb turns on for a fraction of a second, then goes out...
Have the picture of igniter attached.. will look for it..
Attached Thumbnails Headlamp when it rains....-clifton-20120914-00083.jpg   Headlamp when it rains....-clifton-20120914-00087.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Members

hmmmmmm... no idea????
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
New Members

Hi umermariner... I'm having the same problem where my headlamp turns on, momentarily then goes out. In the end was the bulb or the igniter your issue?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Headlamp when it rains....