E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlamp when it rains....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,

Like the title says, my driver side headlamp stops working every now and then (Low beam as well as high beam). I noticed that it happens when it pours (my car is parked outside), and goes away in a day or two (depending upon how drying the weather is).

I also have an Adaptive headlight error (ever since I bought the car... i.e. few months ago), and I think it is also the same driver side headlamp.

Is there any known leakage spot in these headlights? Anyone has faced this issue before? I wanted to do some homework before I take it apart, and may start applying silicone .

Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yikes, definitely sounds more like an exposed wiring on the harness issue to me. Take your headlights out asap and examine the harness. I am surprised nothing has shorted at this point.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yikes, definitely sounds more like an exposed wiring on the harness issue to me. Take your headlights out asap and examine the harness. I am surprised nothing has shorted at this point.
.. hmmmmmmmm... thats not good .
When you say harness, you mean where the wires from the car are being plugged into the headlamp? It seems to be at the back bottom of the headlamp, so I guess I will have to take it out.
Any DIY on taking out the headlamp/ bumper? I know its not really a difficult job, DIY helps in terms of identifying one small screw somewhere in the back, that I may break otherwise .
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

Originally Posted by umermariner
.. hmmmmmmmm... thats not good .
When you say harness, you mean where the wires from the car are being plugged into the headlamp? It seems to be at the back bottom of the headlamp, so I guess I will have to take it out.
Any DIY on taking out the headlamp/ bumper? I know its not really a difficult job, DIY helps in terms of identifying one small screw somewhere in the back, that I may break otherwise .
Thanks.
Most likely its the harness under the headlight thats getting wet, you may have to replace it since your adaptive mode on your headlights are not working.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Contributors

The power harness is not underneath the headlights. It's literally on the back of it. On the xenon pre-LCI, you have two plugs. The units on the bottom of headlights are your AHL/SMC module and ballast.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
Most likely its the harness under the headlight thats getting wet, you may have to replace it since your adaptive mode on your headlights are not working.

When you say replace it, you mean just the power harness, or the whole headlight assembly? If just the power harness, do you think it may fix the adaptive headlight function as well, or I may still need to change the adaptive motor??
Thanks again
Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Members

The power harness is not underneath the headlights. It's literally on the back of it. On the xenon pre-LCI, you have two plugs. The units on the bottom of headlights are your AHL/SMC module and ballast.
I guess I will have to take the assembly out and see if there is anything showing sign of wear/ leak... Any hidden screws there, or its straight forward ... in other words, how much time should I dedicate? Any one has done it before?
Thanks guys...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Removing headlights + any one has done it before?

I am pretty sure you're going to be the first person to do this, good luck.

In all seriousness, you need to just do it. From what it sounds like, it seems like you're pretty much lucking out so far that nothing has been f'ed up already.

Headlight is secured by four screws. Two on top, two on bottom. Stop dicking around and do it.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Members

Removing headlights + any one has done it before?

I am pretty sure you're going to be the first person to do this, good luck.

In all seriousness, you need to just do it. From what it sounds like, it seems like you're pretty much lucking out so far that nothing has been f'ed up already.

Headlight is secured by four screws. Two on top, two on bottom. Stop dicking around and do it.
... thanks for building my moral ... Will do it asap, and update you guys.
Thanks again guys.. appreciate it
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Check out 'youtube' with the following search. He makes it look easy. Almost 310,000 views.

"BMW E60 angel eyes replacement installation right side"

Quick Reply: Headlamp when it rains....