E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Light Assembly Videos Blah

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52
Default Head Light Assembly Videos Blah

I had to remove my head light assembly to get to my angle eye (halo) bulb. I was happy seeing the YouTube videos from another post which made it look easy and I didn't want to scuff up my bumper again. Well the one video shows to remove the front top rubber seal and panel. I'm glad I didn't follow him because my assembly doesn't even come close to that panel. I would have wasted my time.

Then on both videos, they swear you don't have to remove the bottom screws, just loosen them. Bzzzt nope. I was having the hardest time getting the assembly out until I completely removed the inner screw and then the assembly came right out.

The thing that really was in the way was my front bumper. And no way I was removing that. You just gotta force the assembly past it. Its a good thing I learned and put blue painters tape to protect it or else I would have mucked my bumper up like last time.

Now for a side question... I was testing my headlights and noticed the innermost lights do not turn on at all. I thought they come on for the high beams but when I turn the high beams on, those lights are still off and the xenons are what get brighter for high beams. Ok so what the frick are those lights for then?

UPDATE:
From watching several videos, I got the trick. You don't have to remove the bottom screws, just loosen them. Then you don't have to remove the entire front rubber seal and panel. This other video showed you just pull it up partway and then remove only two screws which then allows you to move the front bumper out of the way.

Last edited by donpb; 09-19-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:39 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530d msport Lci 2007

They are your cornering lights, they illuminate in the corners and go out when you straighten the wheel
Old 08-24-2020, 08:26 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by donpb
Now for a side question... I was testing my headlights and noticed the innermost lights do not turn on at all. I thought they come on for the high beams but when I turn the high beams on, those lights are still off and the xenons are what get brighter for high beams. Ok so what the frick are those lights for then?

In Canada they serve as the DR lights and come on when the engine is running. They also serve as the "flick to pass" lights.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Redballs1
They are your cornering lights, they illuminate in the corners and go out when you straighten the wheel
We'll that's news to me. So maybe that explains why when I go around this one corner, I see people look at the front of my car like something caught their eye.

I just ordered a new angel eye bulb assembly and noticed that I have quite a few exposed wires. I covered some with electrical tape but was wondering what might be a better way. Heat shrink tubing would be perfect but I'd have to remove the wire connectors from the housing and I'm not about to be doing none of that.

I was also thinking about using small a dabs of hot melt glue. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Last edited by donpb; 08-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:59 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by donpb
We'll that's news to me. So maybe that explains why when I go around this one corner, I see people look at the front of my car like something caught their eye.

I just ordered a new angel eye bulb assembly and noticed that I have quite a few exposed wires. I covered some with electrical tape but was wondering what might be a better way. Heat shrink tubing would be perfect but I'd have to remove the wire connectors from the housing and I'm not about to be doing none of that.

I was also thinking about using small a dabs of hot melt glue. Does anyone have any other recommendations?
If you have the adaptive Zenons (which it looks as if you do), then maybe they are noticing that the headlights are turning in the direction you are turning. I have not heard of North American inner lights being on on the side one is turning, but I do know that when the Zenons are present, the inner headlights serve as DRL, IF the lights are programmed as such. In Canada,DRL are mandatory, so the inner headlights are programmed as such. Yours might not be programmed as DRL. You should see, however, the inner lights come on with the "flash lights" position on the stalk.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Will ya look at the farging mess of exposed wires inside of my headlight assembly? I'd hate to see what's going on inside of the other one.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

The saga continues...
This is turning into a deeper rabbit hole. The more I go in there covering wires, the more insulation flakes off. Some wires are bare, looks worse than in the photos now.

I don't know what else to do but not really wanting to buy new headlight assemblies. Not going to cut and replace all of those wires because its more than you realize and its in a tight area to get to them.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I remember taping my wires back in 2012. I sat down in front of the TV for 2 hrs. I eventually got them done and had no issues since. 2 years later my wife had an accident and 1 needed to be replaced. Of course it was $1500 for the one so I asked the shop if I could just buy both and they put it on. They agreed and I needed to give them a copy of the receipt. I paid $1200 for the set at am-autoparts and they refunded me the extra $300. I used that to replace the under carriage. I got lucky with that collision shop since a lot of them will not work with you.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

I saw $1,500 for the set but that's Hella brand. $775 for one ($1,500 for Genuine BMW). I spent two hours last night using spiral cut wire wrap but the wire insulation is so brittle, it kept flaking off the more I wrapped. I think imma do the 2 hours electrical taping gig. Only wires close to the main bulb are affected. All of the other wires are in great condition.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:53 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

It's called liquid electrical tape.. buy some and start painting..
The following users liked this post:
PaoChe (11-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Head Light Assembly Videos Blah