E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Radio- How do I listen to the side channel HD-2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the HD option it does make 'radio' sound clear as a bell.. better quality than SAT for sure.. So I hear many of my local stations say they have a side channel HD-2 that is playing commercial free High Def radio. The problem is I can't figure out how to listen to it. There is an autostore for HD radio just like FM but it doesn't seem to find these side channels. Has anyone figured out how to tune into them?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Members

Hmm, I guess not many people here have HD radio. Anyone??
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

I don't listen to the radio all that much but when I have, I never caught any mention of side channels on the local HD Radio stations here in the Metro DC area.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='302315' date='Jun 23 2006, 10:27 PM
I don't listen to the radio all that much but when I have, I never caught any mention of side channels on the local HD Radio stations here in the Metro DC area.
Only a few channels in the Boston area have it here. You'll see it in the details when you're listening. It will say the main channel name HD-1 and then the HD-2 description. I just haven't found a way to tune into the HD-2 channel. I'm starting to think BMW didn't allow for this..
Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='302322' date='Jun 23 2006, 10:39 PM
Only a few channels in the Boston area have it here. You'll see it in the details when you're listening. It will say the main channel name HD-1 and then the HD-2 description. I just haven't found a way to tune into the HD-2 channel. I'm starting to think BMW didn't allow for this..
hmmm... now you have me thinking. I see all 13 HD Radio stations in WDC have HD2. I'll have to poke around.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

hmmm... I see what you mean... maybe a new CIP upgrade will give us the option of pulling in the multicast channel?

Here's a list of the markets that have HD2...

http://www.hdradio.com/hd_digital_radio_format_list.php
Old 06-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='302334' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:06 PM
hmmm... I see what you mean... maybe a new CIP upgrade will give us the option of pulling in the multicast channel?

Here's a list of the markets that have HD2...

http://www.hdradio.com/hd_digital_radio_format_list.php

Great list.. I can't find anything on the net that talks about how to get HD-2 in a BMW. I guess it's time to ask the service dept. Though I bet they haven't really had much to do with HD radio, but maybe they can contact BMW to find out. I'll let you know.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='302023' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:16 AM
I love the HD option it does make 'radio' sound clear as a bell.. better quality than SAT for sure.. So I hear many of my local stations say they have a side channel HD-2 that is playing commercial free High Def radio. The problem is I can't figure out how to listen to it. There is an autostore for HD radio just like FM but it doesn't seem to find these side channels. Has anyone figured out how to tune into them?

Update: Talked to BMW service today in the car. The HD radio can't tune into the HD-2 channels. But he did say they would probably have a software update later.. Let's hope that's not just Gibber Jabber..
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='304810' date='Jun 28 2006, 09:50 PM
Update: Talked to BMW service today in the car. The HD radio can't tune into the HD-2 channels. But he did say they would probably have a software update later.. Let's hope that's not just Gibber Jabber..
Good to know, thanks. I'm not ejoying HD right now but I may not know what I'm missing on HD-2 either. I'll keep my ears open for software updates that may allow the radio to tune into the other channels.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i silver gray, black leather, cold weather package, steptronic, rear side air bags, multi-contour seats, navigation, Logic 7, HUD, Sirius, HD radio

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='302023' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:16 AM
Multicasting, the sharing of a frequency by more than one digital "channel", is a newer feature of HD radio. Only a small number of radio stations have used this feature before this year. BMW appears to have selected a radio that like most radios released before 2006 does not have the ability to play these additional channels. Someone in another forum mentioned the possibility that a future software update might be used to enable this feature, but at this time nothing is available.

Quick Reply: HD Radio- How do I listen to the side channel HD-2?