E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HAVE YOU TAKEN A SHOWER IN YOUR E60?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the touchless wash this year..never had this happen and hopefully never will
Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Guys this shouldn't happen and I don't care how much pressure the car wash can apply. A fricken Hyundai go through a car wash with no problems, so I would expect from a $90k vehicle to at least take me through a car wash without all the problems that I faced this weekend. If BMW cannot find the problem, then I have to admit this would be the most pathetic car I have ever driven. I'll keep you posted when I take it to the STEALER.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='686178' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:57 AM
I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the touchless wash this year..never had this happen and hopefully never will
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm sure the car is supposed to stay dry under high pressure water spray conditions. As a matter of fact, one of the steps BMW takes at the VDC before the vehicle is released to the dealer is to park it in some sort of water leak testing booth that sprays water all over the car at a high pressure so they can verify that the car doesn't leak...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

This is creepy.... Our cars should be able to withstand pressurized water spray and isn't that similar to when we're going at 100mph in rain...?

No matter what, you should definitely see if the dealer can find out more about this from BMW NA. This would not sit well with me if I were you.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='686309' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:35 AM
Guys this shouldn't happen and I don't care how much pressure the car wash can apply. A fricken Hyundai go through a car wash with no problems, so I would expect from a $90k vehicle to at least take me through a car wash without all the problems that I faced this weekend. If BMW cannot find the problem, then I have to admit this would be the most pathetic car I have ever driven. I'll keep you posted when I take it to the STEALER.
If dealer can't find the source of the problem, then go to the same car wash again with the SA. Thats what I would do. GL.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

More than likely it was once in a while deal, next time around thru the same car wash all will be golden.

Originally Posted by theXman' post='686357' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:53 AM
If dealer can't find the source of the problem, then go to the same car wash again with the SA. Thats what I would do. GL.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='685753' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:10 AM
So yesterday I did not feel like washing the car by hand so I went through a touch-less car wash, as soon as the machine reached the back of the E60 my kids where screaming Daddy water in getting in the car. I look behind me and water was dripping like crazy from both sides of the back doors and I can see the water traveling so quick into the back and side of the roof material, more on the left side (please see picture for exact location). The roof is already dry but I'm not sure where the water went now. I noticed some went in the seatbelt box on the back seat and some went between the back seat and the door trim.

The $64,000 dollar question; how did the frickin water get into the car? The only thing that I remember is back in May BMW changed the door trims because I was complaining about the noise from the doors, that being said I washed my car in a touch-less car wash after the replacement of the door trims many times with no problems until yesterday. Could this be the problem? Could the water go through the back glass side trim? I will take the car to the stealer tomorrow if they can see me, but the other question is this stuff covered under the extended warranty (Certified Series)?

If you guys have any information please let me know. I tell my two year old daughter was freaking out when she saw the water dripping....
I had the same problem. It turned out to be the moonroof cassette. They replaced it and then replaced the headliner as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

I agree with the above poster. The sunroof is the most likely culprit. If the drain channels get blocked, water drains into the interior.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Members

As others have said i'd guess it's the sunroof drain tube or drip tray that leaked.If you haven't got a sunroof then you have got a problem!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

Guys if it the sunroof why the water did not leak in the centre while find it it's way back? I don't think it is the sunroof.

Originally Posted by *AL*' post='686551' date='Oct 6 2008, 01:56 PM
As others have said i'd guess it's the sunroof drain tube or drip tray that leaked.If you haven't got a sunroof then you have got a problem!

Quick Reply: HAVE YOU TAKEN A SHOWER IN YOUR E60?