E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you experienced any of these things?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now one month and several thousand miles into my brand new 525i SE Auto and remain massively impressed with it, particularly the average fuel consumption which ranges between 32 to 37mpg. I had reckoned on getting 30mpg but I still can't believe that a 3 litre petrol engine can be this efficient.

I have just 3 minor gripes and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and could offer any advice before I book the car into the dealers.

1) Strange squeeking noise when lifting off the accelerator. I have been quite distracted by a strange noise, rather like a chirping bird, that I keep hearing from the dashboard area, passenger side. Having thought it was a suspension or loose trim noise, I have now traced it's cause. Whenever I take my foot completely off the accelerator, at that precise moment, I get an instant 'chirping' noise (usually two or three in quick succession). It is not a squeeky pedal, it is definitely coming from the dash area, or the engine (through the dash area). Whilst I am relieved that I haven't got a bird trapped in the engine compartment (yes, it had crossed my mind!), I will need to get it sorted. Anyone else heard this noise?

2) Loose front centre armrest. The front armrest clicks and creaks whenever my arm is rested on it when driving. The noise is slightly lessened when the sliding section is extended, but whenever the handbrake is applied, it dissengages the armrest from its extended position and pushes it back from it's 'locked' position.

3) Passenger Door Mirror 'jamming' in tilt position. I have the function whereby the passenger door mirror tilts downwards when reverse gear is applied. All very well, but on occasion, the mirror 'sticks' in the downward tilt position when I engage drive after reversing, meaning that I have to reset it with the controls.

These are all minor problems and I may well leave them until the first service, but I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Hey UK 5,

Tell us about your ride ... make, type, year, etc,etc.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

No similar problems here and I have an 05. All covered by warranty
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System

Hi

I've got a 57 plate 523i SE Auto.

It has had the chirping noise from the engine from new and the noise gets louder in relation to the revs it is doing as I lift off the throttle; higher revs and more agressive lift off of the throttle generates louder and/or more chirps.

The noise stops almost completely after a software reset/upgrade and over time it gradually returns.

I've been told the chirping is very noticeable to passers by but I haven't heard it from outside the car.

I know how it behaves after a software reset as mine has had fuelling issues (to date it has had 1 injector fail completely, 1 'go out of spec', 6 injectors replaced all in one go when I complained and 2 recalls for fuel-pump software updates). Not too impressive for 17000 miles since 1st September but the customer service from the dealer has been faultless.

Mine had a rough idle which was much improved after all 6 injectors were changed.

Agree re: the economy, mine is 2.5 litre though so can crack 40 mpg on a steady motorway run without too much trouble.

The second recall was about a month ago and the chirping noise is becoming more apparent again so when I have time I'll have the car into the dealer again.

I haven't had the other problems that you've encountered.

I believe that the problem is related to the VERY high pressure fuel system (which is one of the reasons the economy is so good) that came in with the LCI model in Spring 2007.

Hope that helps and that you continue to enjoy the car. If you get a good technical explantion for the chirp please post it.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by terrymac' post='579644' date='May 13 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi

I've got a 57 plate 523i SE Auto.

It has had the chirping noise from the engine from new and the noise gets louder in relation to the revs it is doing as I lift off the throttle; higher revs and more agressive lift off of the throttle generates louder and/or more chirps.

The noise stops almost completely after a software reset/upgrade and over time it gradually returns.

I've been told the chirping is very noticeable to passers by but I haven't heard it from outside the car.

I know how it behaves after a software reset as mine has had fuelling issues (to date it has had 1 injector fail completely, 1 'go out of spec', 6 injectors replaced all in one go when I complained and 2 recalls for fuel-pump software updates). Not too impressive for 17000 miles since 1st September but the customer service from the dealer has been faultless.

Mine had a rough idle which was much improved after all 6 injectors were changed.

Agree re: the economy, mine is 2.5 litre though so can crack 40 mpg on a steady motorway run without too much trouble.

The second recall was about a month ago and the chirping noise is becoming more apparent again so when I have time I'll have the car into the dealer again.

I haven't had the other problems that you've encountered.

I believe that the problem is related to the VERY high pressure fuel system (which is one of the reasons the economy is so good) that came in with the LCI model in Spring 2007.

Hope that helps and that you continue to enjoy the car. If you get a good technical explantion for the chirp please post it.
Thanks Terrymac - that's really helpful and I'm so glad that it's not me going mad!

I would say my 'problems' are all minor (certainly compared to yours) and can wait for the first service, but if I start to get really irritated I'll book it in sooner.

Very interesting to hear that you can get 40mpg from your 2.5 litre 523i. As you probably know, BMW quote identical average MPG for the 523i, 525i and 530i auto's but, as I suspected, the mpg appears to be less with each step up. Over the first 3,000 miles I have averaged 33.2mpg, which I'm delighted with as I'd done my maths on 30mpg. I had contemplated a 530i but couldn't convince myself that I needed any more power than the 218bhp of the 525i and I've not regretted it once as I have never felt it lacking in power and it really takes off when you want it too. I also reckon that 30mpg would be about tops on the 530i (unless anyone here can confirm otherwise?). I should imagine the 523i is great too, but the 525i only worked out ?20 per month more and I couldn't resist it. The 530i however was a further ?100 a month (plus likely extra fuel cost).
Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I have #2 above
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System
Smile

My car appears to have had another injector fail, limped into dealer this morning with engine management light on and bad misfire, barely able to idle.

Waiting to hear what the problem is this time but I'll be suprised if it isn't an injector again

Be interested to hear if the cheeping noise is an early indicator of the problem, I hope UK 5 Series has better luck with his!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530IA Saphirschwarz, Beige Dakota

I had a another failure of an injector on my August 2007 530i last week. Injector Number 1 was replaced the next day. Car has only 10,500 km. This comes after a failure of another injector in December, when it had 7,500km. BMW say that this is normal as "it is a machine and machines can go wrong". I am trying to get them to perform a check on all 6 injectors but receiving pushback. I am thinking of escalating this to Munich.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: Nov 07 530i M Sport - Sports Auto - Carbon Black - black dakota - 172's - Media - Visibility - Heated front seats - Auto dim / fold mirrors

had an injector (#1 cylinder) go on my Nov 07 530i on Tuesday, 4300 miles on it

fixed by BMW assist outside the office in about 40 minutes - pretty good, but better if it doesn't go wrong in the 1st place....
Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: Nov 07 530i M Sport - Sports Auto - Carbon Black - black dakota - 172's - Media - Visibility - Heated front seats - Auto dim / fold mirrors

my 530i is showing 34.8mpg average since I picked it up on 1 May...

Quick Reply: Have you experienced any of these things?