E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This has got to be a first

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SA just infomed me that my car is down before I have even laid eyes or collected it!

I was originally scheduled to collect my 523i middle of this week but was advised by my SA that "software problems" with the car will cause a delay (not known how long) in delivery. The pre-delivery inspection dept is waiting for BMW head office to send over the latest software version (he does not know if this is CIP 20) to rectify the problems.

On the plus side, my SA said he will arrange for a loaner for me but I can't help but have a premonition over this. :'(

Not sure if he was trying to smoke me but according to the SA, apparently 4 to 5 cars out of 10 in the same production lot is supposed to have this software issue. The car is supposed to be a Sept 05 production car, does any one know if there is any truth in this?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

All I can say - doesn't surprise me.............
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There did seem to be a lot of issues with teh 19.xx series, although we do not know at this point that that is what u have. ICEMAN said 20.xx was to be out this week I believe, so it is even possible ur car had it (20.xx) out of the factory. Would be nice for a data point at least, to know when they fix it, what it was and what the new one is. Be sure to ask.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jellyfish1' post='210212' date='Dec 12 2005, 05:01 AM
My SA just infomed me that my car is down before I have even laid eyes or collected it!

I was originally scheduled to collect my 523i middle of this week but was advised by my SA that "software problems" with the car will cause a delay (not known how long) in delivery. The pre-delivery inspection dept is waiting for BMW head office to send over the latest software version (he does not know if this is CIP 20) to rectify the problems.

On the plus side, my SA said he will arrange for a loaner for me but I can't help but have a premonition over this. :'(

Not sure if he was trying to smoke me but according to the SA, apparently 4 to 5 cars out of 10 in the same production lot is supposed to have this software issue. The car is supposed to be a Sept 05 production car, does any one know if there is any truth in this?
Ugh, Chief vnod thinkum BMW not greatum with software! :thumbsdown:
Old 12-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jellyfish1' post='210212' date='Dec 12 2005, 06:01 PM

Hi, I collected my car (525) 12 days ago, and it is a Sep production with Start/Stop button but have no issue with software. Did your SA tell u exactly what software issue? I don't know which CIP version of my car, although I was given an impression that it is 19.2

Anyway. I have in total spotted 7 manufacturing flaws and imperfections, which I have escalated to PML's top management for attention. It seems the built quality of BWM has deteriorated. Sigh...
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='210266' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:41 AM
Anyway. I have in total spotted 7 manufacturing flaws and imperfections, which I have escalated to PML's top management for attention. It seems the built quality of BWM has deteriorated. Sigh...
What did you spot?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='210252
Originally Posted by Fireplace' post='210266' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:41 AM
What did you spot?
I would like to know as well since I will most certainly be going through the car with a fine tooth comb. Any advice on what to look out for during delivery?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jellyfish1' post='210531
There did seem to be a lot of issues with teh 19.xx series, although we do not know at this point that that is what u have. ICEMAN said 20.xx was to be out this week I believe, so it is even possible ur car had it (20.xx) out of the factory. Would be nice for a data point at least, to know when they fix it, what it was and what the new one is. Be sure to ask.
I am fairly certain that the car is loaded with CIP 19 since it is Sept build. Seeing Iceman's earlier post, my first instinct was to ask if PDI was waiting for CIP 20 and my SA just went "huh?". Any way, he was all very apologetic and promised to find out what software the service guys are waiting for from Germany and what that is supposed to fix.

Originally Posted by smcd' post='210474
What did you spot?
[/quote]I too am curious.

I would like to know as well since I will most certainly be going through the car with a fine tooth comb. Any advice on what to look out for during delivery?
[/quote]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jellyfish1' post='210531
I am fairly certain that the car is loaded with CIP 19 since it is Sept build. Seeing Iceman's earlier post, my first instinct was to ask if PDI was waiting for CIP 20 and my SA just went "huh?". Any way, he was all very apologetic and promised to find out what software the service guys are waiting for from Germany and what that is supposed to fix.

Originally Posted by smcd' post='210474
What did you spot?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hear goes
Imperfection 1: Gear knob area emits hissing sound when in motion. Was told the gear interlocks alignment is off and needs adjustment and realignment.

Imperfection 2: Adaptive headlight only turns one side and not the other. Apparently, jammed.

Imperfection 3: Passenger side mirror remain dipped after moving out of reverse gear. Mechanism jammed.

Imperfection 4: Ocassion knocking noises coming from turning active steering. Big puzzle.

Imperfection 5: Knocking sound coming from rear seat area, probably due to poor fittings.

Imperfection 6: Brake squeak despite run-in after 600km of usage.

Imperfection 7: jerky start from 1st gear.

Imperfection 8 (latest): Automatic headlight remained switched on after coming out of dark area. I think this can be adjusted but I have heard similar complains. Insensitive default setting I suppose.

I am sure all these can be rectified but just can't imagine the amount of imperfections that can be detected in first 10 days of delivery. I feel the cabin noise is worse compared to E39. Road/tire noise is more pronounce. Sound insulation is poorer in my opinion. Auto transmission (despite 6 gears) felt more jerky when shifting.

Despite all the frustrations, it is still a wonderful car to drive and enjoy. Engine is awesome.