E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Has anyone retrofitted Night Vision into a car without one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told (many times) by BMW that 535xiT with M-sport bumper cannot be ordered (or retrofitted) with BMW's Night vision option because the camera (or possibly) the bracket is in the way of the intercooler. At this point, I almost don't care how long it takes, I am determined to install one myself. Has anyone on this site retrofitted this system aftermarket? If so, did you have to ask the dealer to play with the CCC and activate NV for you?

I found this site http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...a8d6df5d1a231a3 and they seem a bit on the expensive side, however, they advertise the camera to have 30Hz (or highest frame rate available). Has anyone had experience with bimmernav?

After much thought and research, I've determined that I need to have the NV and an "STI driver" work in unison to keep me out of too much trouble on the roads. If anyone has any opinions about this, please feel free to share.

Thanks,
~Andy
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='813468' date='Mar 11 2009, 07:35 AM
I've been told (many times) by BMW that 535xiT with M-sport bumper cannot be ordered (or retrofitted) with BMW's Night vision option because the camera (or possibly) the bracket is in the way of the intercooler. At this point, I almost don't care how long it takes, I am determined to install one myself. Has anyone on this site retrofitted this system aftermarket? If so, did you have to ask the dealer to play with the CCC and activate NV for you?

I found this site http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...a8d6df5d1a231a3 and they seem a bit on the expensive side, however, they advertise the camera to have 30Hz (or highest frame rate available). Has anyone had experience with bimmernav?

After much thought and research, I've determined that I need to have the NV and an "STI driver" work in unison to keep me out of too much trouble on the roads. If anyone has any opinions about this, please feel free to share.

Thanks,
~Andy
Don't know anything about installing night vision but I can comment on my opinion of it an option. Of all the options on my car, if I had to do it over again the NV is the one i would not get. I know there are others who will disagree with me but I have not found much value to it. It is acutally a very cool concept but I have not found it particularly useful - especially given the cost. The times it is most helpful is on dark, not well traveled roads but that is the type of driving where keeping your eyes on the road is critical. To use the NV, you have to keep glancing at the I-Drive screen to see if it picked up anything. I understand the technical issues preventing it but if it could somehow be incorpoarted into the HUD the it would be a real winner.

Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience with it. I am certain others have found it helpful and worth the money.