E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hardwire radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

The map light option is nice, but the foot well setup is the one I chose for a couple of reasons, primarily because it is so easy. You take out three screws from the foot well, the cover pops off, use one of those 3m blue crimp/tap things, install the V1 supplied hardwire thing, put a piece of velcro on it to secure it, and you are done. I chose this option rather than the map light because I would prefer not to be dicking around with the wires inside such a small place. But, then, I drove my 550i for 18k miles before I discovered the DS mode on the tranny....
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

https://5series.net/forums/topic/708-radar-det/

Here is the diy...Its the green/yellow wire!! I'm 100% on this!Also get the red wire female crimp...The blue is to big...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Originally Posted by studavis
The map light option is nice, but the foot well setup is the one I chose for a couple of reasons, primarily because it is so easy. You take out three screws from the foot well, the cover pops off, use one of those 3m blue crimp/tap things, install the V1 supplied hardwire thing, put a piece of velcro on it to secure it, and you are done. I chose this option rather than the map light because I would prefer not to be dicking around with the wires inside such a small place. But, then, I drove my 550i for 18k miles before I discovered the DS mode on the tranny....
LMAO - that you drove 18k miles before discovering the DS mode. I took me about 500 or so miles. I tell you... those damn salesmen barely know what they're selling. What I wasn't able to figure out myself I learned from this lovely forum. I knew about the triptronic and thought I was supposed to change gears manually once I pushed it over in DS
Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Members

Overhead in the map light area is by far the easiest IMO. Also, you can use one of the torx bolts used at the sunroof motor as a ground, much easier to reach than the bolt to the right.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Originally Posted by skeeter
http://forums.5serie.../708-radar-det/

Here is the diy...Its the green/yellow wire!! I'm 100% on this!Also get the red wire female crimp...The blue is to big...
+1 Go get the red T-Tap ($0.25 at your local electronics shop) Too many folks have issues with the blue one. The wires are too small.

The wire that you need to tap into is green with a yellow stripe. I just hard-wired mine last week. Follow the link someone else posted. The bundle of wires needed is going to your rear-view mirror.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Thanks Go Ravens. I thank you and my Pittsburgh Steelers thank you.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
Thanks Go Ravens. I thank you and my Pittsburgh Steelers thank you.
Sorry, in that case I made a mistake.... " it is the red wire with white stripe and it is located in your trunk on the left hand side. You might have to remove a panel to see it. You will need to cut the geen and yellow stripe wire to make the red wire connection work." "
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GoRavens
Sorry, in that case I made a mistake.... " it is the red wire with white stripe and it is located in your trunk on the left hand side. You might have to remove a panel to see it. You will need to cut the geen and yellow stripe wire to make the red wire connection work." "
In the trunk, red wire... Okay Got it - LMAO
Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
In the trunk, red wire... Okay Got it - LMAO
No wait! Cut the yellow wire!!! j/k man
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

I did my two years ago it took 10 minutes to do. I bought the hardwire kit for my radar detector, connected it to the green and yellow in the light dome and grounded it to a bolt in the roof.. I didn't cut any wires in the trunk or anywhere else etc.. The detector goes on when i start the car and goes off when i shut it off.

Quick Reply: Hardwire radar detector