E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hardwire radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I currently have my radar plugged into the power outlet under the passengers foot area. Sometimes it gets kicked causing the wires to hang down. Besides, I don't want the adapter to get broken in the power port. So, which fuse # do I plug the detector in so it turns off\on with the car and is the right amp or ohms (not sure which)
Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Take off the front dome light cover and splice into the green/yellow wire of the sunroof..Its a hot lead...It will only power on and off with the key...Then you can ground it to a bolt in there as well...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

The whole plastic cover or the light itself?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

I powered mine off that same 12v accessory plug in the passenger compartment, only hardwired onto the rear (spliced into the power and ground). Then just run your remote power cable up via the pillar and headliner around to detector.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Remove the map light where your sunroof button is located. The panel should pop off. Then look for a wire harness that has several wires bundled together. Do what skeeter said, tap the green and yellow wire. Then ground it to one of the bolts already in there.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Cool, thanks. I'll just pull down on the frame until it comes off.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I hard wired mine off the 12v in the foot well, where yours currently plugs in. The tap just draws off the top of the socket. It is switched too so the batt does not drain

Basically just used the stuff the V1 came with and got a 10' long black cord up, over , and down.It does take more than the plug in the foot well though so make sure you have enough slack before running the power line up the A piller

I ran the ground over to carpet trim piece that is just under the side of the center console.I then tucked the power distribution box in on of the slots net to the fusees.

There is a How to with picts on the M5 board. This is much safer with the wiring change they did on the LCI cars. Some cars have the Green/black wire others don't.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I hardwired my V1 to the green/white wire up in the overhead lights, much easier than the fuse box, then I drilled a hole in the roof frame for a ground, I got a thread on it, check it out
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Okay, so far I've heard Green\yellow Green\Black and Green\White
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
Okay, so far I've heard Green\yellow Green\Black and Green\White
I got an E92 so....I don't know abou the E60
guys....just tap into the green wire that looks important and feels "right" lol

If you take a pic of the wire bundle above the overhead lights I can probably tell you which wire it is

Quick Reply: Hardwire radar detector