E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hardcore vibration + check engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my way home from work today I accelerated to pass someone maybe accelerating for 2 seconds or so, suddenly my car started shaking violently and would barely accelerate. At first I thought I had four flats from how bad it shook. Sat back,in car and turned it on and noticed check engine light was on. On the way home it shook again twice at red lights, so I had to turn car loff and on. Takinig it in for service in 3 days, anyone know what it could be?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525I

sounds like your cylinder heads are going bad
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

wow could it be something that serious I thought it might be the hpfp the car barely has 36k miles
Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what does that even mean-your "cylinder heads are goin bad!" haha That is the most ridiculous comment ever.

Its not your cylinder head. It likely is a component of your valvetrain. I had a hyralic lifter and spring break and caused a violen shaking that was so violent I turned my car on and it literally was possessed and hardly would move. YOur under warranty so dont worry about it
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
what does that even mean-your "cylinder heads are goin bad!" haha That is the most ridiculous comment ever.

Its not your cylinder head. It likely is a component of your valvetrain. I had a hyralic lifter and spring break and caused a violen shaking that was so violent I turned my car on and it literally was possessed and hardly would move. YOur under warranty so dont worry about it
Yeah it's under warranty still, I'll have them take a look on Monday when I take it in but knowing how slow most dealerships are I probably won't have an answer til a week later atleast. Maybe I can get a new engine out of it! lol jk, I'll update once I find out whats wrong with it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by mymonkey562
sounds like your cylinder heads are going bad

Originally Posted by Diamond

What are you guys, the dart-throwing monkeys from the former Lehman Bros derivative desk???

My money's on the HPFP. Period.

Good luck with having the car fixed, Persian! Sure hope its not the "cylinder heads" Whatever it is, the warranty should cover it, so sleep tight
Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

yeah its ur hpfp. it has happened to me too. they are warranty for 10 years so BMW will correct the issue
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Members

I dont want to sound stupid what is the HPFP exactly, i have a 2007 530i, whenever im on idle, like on a red light or stop sign, the car start vibrating, you can feel it from the steering wheel and through your seat.

i took it to the dealer and they told me its the bearing of the exhaust that is worn off, we fixed it and still vibrating.

any help would be really appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-02-2010, 02:34 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

An injector (Or multiple) or the unit(s) driving your spark plug(s). I had this several times.
HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump Could be it as well.. but I bet on my first assessment.

If it would be the valve train. It would be permanent (which, as you described, it is not).
Old 10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Members

Same thing happened to to 05 545i..turned out to be a couple bad ignition coils and spark plugs

Quick Reply: Hardcore vibration + check engine