E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Handling/suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp
Thumbs up

I have an 04 530i 6-spd, no frills, 29K miles. That is, regular suspension (non-sport), no cold weather package. (But it does have luxury package--I think it's called--with leather, sound system, etc.) So far, the only mod is 19" Michelins on 166s (non-M6 offset to boot).

This past weekend I test drove an 07 550i with the performance package (I'm assuming that means all bells/whistles). It handled crazy good, very tight and responsive as you all know it is. While I'm not yet interested in upgrading (I'd take a bath on my 04 that I purchased), I am interested in trying to get some of that handling in the 550i.

My question is, what can I do to improve my 530's handling? I've read here about springs, coil-overs, and other things, but I am ignorant of what these things each, or collectively, give you. I'd like to improve my car's handling, but at what cost? What do springs give me? What do coil-overs give me? Can I get spacers that 'fill-out' the rear wheel well (which is what I assume the M6-offset would have done)? Are there other things to do (I'm sure sway bars and other things are options)? What do each of these cost? I am not interested in going nuts and spending thousands, maybe up to a thousand (preferably no more than several hundred). Is it worth doing? Or should I just sit tight with what I have? What manufacturers/part #s do you suggest if springs only? If coil-overs? Spacers?

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Easiest and cost effective way would be to add springs, stiffer shocks and then finally strut braces. Also you can add spacers to your rear wheels, If I am not mistaken 12mm is the most popular size folks on here use with your set up.

New shocks and springs will make the biggest difference. H&R and Eibach make most of the equipment you need.

I would say you are going to spend about $1000-$1200 or so for the above additions for parts and labor if you added all of the above.

GL
Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Strut braces are not worth a shizzle unless your going to track it........

Why not simply pick up a OEM sports suspension kit from someone who wanted to upgrade to coilovers ? again, coilovers are only worth it if you want total control of your ride height and a super stiff "track biased" ride, I dont think the E60 suits that kind of setup for every day driving IMHO, especially when you can have your cake and eat it by having OEM BMW Sport suspension without making your car feel like a ricer ?

All the above IMHO btw..........
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Sway bar would HELP way better than any spring/strut if you decide not to spend on Spring/Strut combo.

OR find used OE sport suspension from 525-530 (don't get combo from 545 above)
The spring rate for V8 E60 is different than Inline 6.

OR

H&R Sport Spring (if possible paired w/ Bilstein Sport Struts) plus a "sport" alignment will keep you smile everytime you see a curve.

I also agree w/ the comment about coilover ^^^^^^^^^^
Coilover = headache.
Stiff, frequent maintenance, SQUEEEKS, corner balancing, fragile, etc etc.

If you want a "track" handling, E60 isn't the car to begin w/
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 for shocks and springs or coilovers. sways only for constant spiritual driving or for tracking imo. and yes you can add spacers, but their main purpose is just for the looks.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 1985 325e (sold it in 1996) // 2001 Z3 2.5 / White / Blk Lthr / 5-spd (wife's) // 04 530i / Metallic Blk / Beige Lthr / 6-spd / Logic7 / 19" 166 Michelin Pilot Sp

Thanks all.

Since I'm an admitted poser, I think I'll go with some springs and spacers. That way, I'll at least reduce/remove the wheel well gap--more aggressive stance via lowering it and pushing out the rear tires a bit, and it'll handle more crisply. There's a local shop (Orr Motorsports, focusing on BMWs/Minis here in Minneapolis) that can do this for me. I think I'll have it done when I go in for my 30K service in a month or so. Any suggestions as to the springs (i.e., Eibach or H&R, and which of their offerings)? Thanks.

But damn that 550i was quick compared to my 530i. A beast, I tell you!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='759862' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:54 PM
Easiest and cost effective way would be to add springs, stiffer shocks and then finally strut braces.
you do realize E60s already have front strut braces right?

[topic="53457"]see pic #5 here[/topic]
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='759971' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks all.

Since I'm an admitted poser, I think I'll go with some springs and spacers. That way, I'll at least reduce/remove the wheel well gap--more aggressive stance via lowering it and pushing out the rear tires a bit, and it'll handle more crisply. There's a local shop (Orr Motorsports, focusing on BMWs/Minis here in Minneapolis) that can do this for me. I think I'll have it done when I go in for my 30K service in a month or so. Any suggestions as to the springs (i.e., Eibach or H&R, and which of their offerings)? Thanks.

it usually comes down between the eibach pro-kit and H&R sports when going with springs. PM sent btw
Old 01-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Terraformer' post='759971' date='Jan 5 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks all.

You might want to look into upgrading your shocks if you can, while your doing the switch, as most folks on here found out that the stock shocks on a non-sport E60 cannot handle the additional loads of lowering the vehicle and not too long after replacing the springs the non-sport shocks are toast. Not sure what your project budget is, and how long you'll want to keep your car, but your car is an 04 and if they havent been replaced previously since it rolled out of the factory, you count on replacing them soon after you upgrade your springs, but it might save you money in the long run to switch them out up front.

From what I understand there is a significant power difference between the 530 and 535, so I can only imagine how you felt stepping into a 550!

GL and keep us posted
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='760051' date='Jan 5 2009, 03:57 PM
You might want to look into upgrading your shocks if you can, while your doing the switch, as most folks on here found out that the stock shocks on a non-sport E60 cannot handle the additional loads of lowering the vehicle and not too long after replacing the springs the non-sport shocks are toast. Not sure what your project budget is, and how long you'll want to keep your car, but your car is an 04 and if they havent been replaced previously since it rolled out of the factory, you count on replacing them soon after you upgrade your springs, but it might save you money in the long run to switch them out up front.

From what I understand there is a significant power difference between the 530 and 535, so I can only imagine how you felt stepping into a 550!

GL and keep us posted

Thanks a bunch, IceyTys. I have a local shop here that races BMWs and I will enlist their advice and see what they say.

Yes, the 550i is a jump in HP of 135, and the torque has to be at least 150 ft lbs. I inquired about a possible trade, but as I mentioned I'd be taking a bath on my 530, losing quite a bit of dough. That being said, I was glad to have driven it (I also drove a 04 545i, which was also a beast, but it didn't have the sport suspension or it at least didn't feel as tight), as now I kind of like my 6-cylinder, even though it's only 225 HP. That's (barely) enough to put a smile on my face, and the gas mileage is a bit better. Plus I like the fact that 6-speeds are pretty rare these days (at least I can't find many), and it's in great shape with 30K miles on it. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Handling/suspension question