E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Handling in snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xi is the way to go here
Old 12-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216479
Sunny but very cold in Scotland today.

Had to pull a trailer uphill out of a friend's street. In the absence of an X model in the UK (and my previous quattro 4wd) was forced to try to pull the trailer up by hand then use a long rope due to lack of grip. Cold but un-cool !

PS I find the (original) runflats very hard in cold weather and hence even worse grip. The standard wheels and normal tires are much stickier in cold weather (though still not magic in ice)

That interesting - why don't BMW offer an X model in the UK ? My sister lives up in Newcastle and the place gets bombarded with snow every winter - infact she mentioned that they had a blizzard this evening and it took her 40 mins to get home from Metrocentre rather than the usual 10. I told her she should have bought a BMW rather than the Jaguar XJ8 her husband just bought
[/quote]

I live in Newcastle, I was just saying yesterday on the way back from Rothbury, that an X model would be great in the UK...BMW dont think it would be a seller, I guess they think we dont get snow enough to consider it. Must say however that the car even with 18"RFT's was good on the main drags in a dusting, got interesting in about 4" snow....
Old 12-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Studded winter tyres is a winner

Originally Posted by SKK' post='216443' date='Dec 28 2005, 10:18 PM
My VW Polo is fab in the snow
Yup, my mother's VW Polo both understeers and oversteers simultaneously if I want it to - exeptionally easy to control.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jackbutler' post='216541' date='Dec 29 2005, 02:43 AM
xi is the way to go here

Good winter tires do just fine!

I been driving on icey roads now for more than a week,
I just love my narrow 16" Conties!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Members

I converted my 124's to my winter wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's and they drive very well in the snow. Here in Chicago, if you don't have winter tires you would be sliding or not moving. The investment was well worth it!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 AM
JWD
Members

I've just ordered some Vredestein Wintrac Extremes (click) , hope they'll do well in the snow too.
They are too big for very good traction on snow/ice (245/40 R 18) but I guess that they will do a better job than the Dunlop RFTs.
I didn't want to order new rims since I want new (Schnitzer) rims for my summer tires
And these tires look very nice and can be used for speeds up to 270 KM/H.....
Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jackbutler' post='216541' date='Dec 28 2005, 07:43 PM
xi is the way to go here
Agree. When in snow or ice 4wd is the best. I also garage my bimmer every time it snows. I have way more fun in my 4 motion passat with dunlop winter m3 tyres (195 width/and no traction control or esp whatsoever). Also the more narrow the tire is, the better. That way it would cut the snow/ice faster and reach grip faster by having a smaller contact surface. Although i dunno how does the X drive act in snow or ice but i do know that my 4 motion passat still understeers alot(so be carefull on public roads, i had my fun in and empty parking lot, but from time to time i get crazy and act a bit on roads when traffic is light and conditions are met).
You have to be more brutal with the sttering and the throttle. Understeer a bit and a few punches to the throttle and then pedal to the floor and i get huge slides like in rallys. It's fantastic how you can slide hugely only by steering and throttle (no handbrake or any other tricks).And it's so easily to control slides at 60-80km/h in enormous circles.
4wd in the snow is 4wheel fun. Everything happens alot faster than in any rwd. In the rwd u have a bit of fun but hey... u struggle more to point the direction and keep it in rwd. I also like, when it snows alot and ,u know, the snow becomes compressed and under it there's a layer of ice, i like to launch the car at red lights at full throttle and dump the clutch. Wow!!! Unmatchable start. U do have to be on alert cuz u might start to go sideways even though you aimed for a straight line. In those moments i feel as close as i can get to rallying.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Winter tyres aren't worth the hassle in the UK. Not in the south anyway. You never know when you're going to get the 2 days of winter.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Members

Winter tires are always worth ! Not only on snow, but everytime temperature is going under 7?C, on rain, mud, dead leaves, ...
You don't need to let your beautifull rims be attacked by salt on winter roads !
And while you wear out your winter tires, you don't wear out your expensive large RFT sport tires ! CQFD
On snow or ice, when you'll hit a ditch because you couldn't stop or turn at 10km/h, you'll feel very stupid !! :'(
And with 225/50VR17 tires, your car doesn't look ugly. Not perfect in deep snow, but I can tell you it helps a lot !!
Today in Belgium, it was blizzard ! I didn't have any problem to drive anywhere, while my neighbour couldn't get his X5 out of the garage (275/40R20). I was laughing while he was crying ! Very secure with DSC on, very easy & funny without (but with an egg between my foot & the right pedal with 500nm torque !)
Another advice : always fit 4 winter tires, not only 2 on the rear (even more dangerous) !!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

If you are in an emergency have to fit only two winter tyres, fit them in the front. What would you rather lack control over - steering or acceleration? I prefer maintaining control over the direction

Quick Reply: Handling in snow/ice