E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handles like crap in the wind

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I first got my E60 I read an article in car and driver-or one of those mags about how the e60 handled really well except in windy conditions on the freeway at higher speeds where it was complete crap compared to how it normally handled.

Now I dont know if all cars suck in the wind since I have only owned one previous car and it was a chev tracker that handled like crap at all conditions so I have no comparison. But I do notice lately in the windy nights we have had that it is ALOT less stable on the windy rroads to the point where it scares me to push 90 whereas normally going 90 feels like a walk in the park. Obviously nothing can be done but just curisu as to why this may be or if it is like this for all cars.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

this has been mentioned before, search for crosswinds
Old 05-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Oh sorry-didnt even think to search for that topic. Have not seen it since I have been around so didnt know-thanks for the tip
Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, car performs much better in windy conditions, after lowering it
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for that link-found lots of posts and info all basically confirming that indeed the car handles like crap in the wind! haha No surprise but nice to know there is nothing "wrong" with my car but rather just a design flaw. Some blame active steering and others do not-bottom line is the thing is not stable at high wind conditions but there is no reason to have to speed excessivly when it is windy and it handles just fine at 75mph in the wind so that is fine for me. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
bmx
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='427918' date='May 24 2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that link-found lots of posts and info all basically confirming that indeed the car handles like crap in the wind! haha No surprise but nice to know there is nothing "wrong" with my car but rather just a design flaw. Some blame active steering and others do not-bottom line is the thing is not stable at high wind conditions but there is no reason to have to speed excessivly when it is windy and it handles just fine at 75mph in the wind so that is fine for me. Thanks!
hold tight to the steering wheel when trailing a semi-truck because you'll get tossed around. don't get that with my other cars.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Members

I felt this way on my older 545i back in 04. I suspected it was the dunlop runflats which sucked and made the car tramline so badly in NY

Then i thought maybe it was due to the lighter weight versus my earlier ride or aerodynamics.

The car is pretty darn low to begin with and its a BMW, the styling looks like some engineers worked on aerodynamics as well.

I hope the one i pick up next will be better.

Also active steering can also play a role in this.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Not sure what specs you have, but when I changed my M-Sport model (with m-sport suspension) from 18" run flats to 19" non-run flats, it resulted in a significant improvement in stability at high speed - and I mean up to around 120-140 mph. I cruise every week for long distances at high speeds and the car is stable - that was not the case before the tyre/wheel change.

Hope that helps - maybe also worth checking post on the run flat vs. non-run flat debate.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='427976' date='May 24 2007, 01:23 PM
Not sure what specs you have, but when I changed my M-Sport model (with m-sport suspension) from 18" run flats to 19" non-run flats, it resulted in a significant improvement in stability at high speed - and I mean up to around 120-140 mph. I cruise every week for long distances at high speeds and the car is stable - that was not the case before the tyre/wheel change.

Hope that helps - maybe also worth checking post on the run flat vs. non-run flat debate.
You see it has NOTHING to do with high speeds-I drive atleast a couple times a week in the 130ish range and find it steady as can be BUT there has to be no wind. The minute a windy day hits which are few and far between in phoenix, I can be going 70mphand feel like I am way unsteady-for how steady this usually feels.

Now life is relative-any drive in this bimmer is stable compared to driving an 02 chev tracker which has such a high center of gravity and crappy handling that anything over 50 was a scary ride. I could not even do the posgted 75mhp limit from phoenix to tuscon in the thing since 75 was wawyy to unstable to feel safe at. Now yes the bimmer is "unstable" in wind but I would still say its ok. But nonetheless the surprise is because it is SO stable at 130ish normally that when a windy day hit and I found I was unable to push 90 comfortably, I was surprised.

I am sure non-runflats help handling in genereal but I actually like my dunflops
Old 05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='428005' date='May 24 2007, 11:49 PM
You see it has NOTHING to do with high speeds-I drive atleast a couple times a week in the 130ish range and find it steady as can be BUT there has to be no wind. The minute a windy day hits which are few and far between in phoenix, I can be going 70mphand feel like I am way unsteady-for how steady this usually feels.

Now life is relative-any drive in this bimmer is stable compared to driving an 02 chev tracker which has such a high center of gravity and crappy handling that anything over 50 was a scary ride. I could not even do the posgted 75mhp limit from phoenix to tuscon in the thing since 75 was wawyy to unstable to feel safe at. Now yes the bimmer is "unstable" in wind but I would still say its ok. But nonetheless the surprise is because it is SO stable at 130ish normally that when a windy day hit and I found I was unable to push 90 comfortably, I was surprised.

I am sure non-runflats help handling in genereal but I actually like my dunflops

Just been giving this more thought and remembered a relatively recent drive where the car was moving around a fair bit because of strong side winds (- this was on my winter set-up with 18" non-run flats). It also surprised me a little, because as you mentioned above, normally the car's very stable. Other cars were also clearly struggling with the winds, so I think like yourself it was more the surprise of not having a perfectly stable ride that concerned me rather than thinking the car was particularly poor in winds. From what I can remember, E46 3er m-sport was not better or worse in these kind of situations. I guess you just accept it and learn to deal with it. And again like you said, nice to know its not only your car acting that way!

Quick Reply: Handles like crap in the wind