E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Halogen lighting upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525xi

I have the halogen headlights which looks really bad..any suggestions how how to upgrade this? do i need to buy bulbs or is there a kit that i can buy that can give it the xenon look?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

There are 2 ways to upgrade:

1) You can buy a stand alone HID kit that basically uses your existing headlight housing and replaces the halogen bulbs with HID. It's the less expensive route to have HID brightness. But keep in mind that the beam pattern of the lights is all over and can be distracted to oncoming traffic. They might be illegal in some places.

2) A member here is providing a conversion service with a plug-n-play solution to convert from Halogen to HID headlights using OEM HID headlights. You will have the OEM look. You can read more about it here... https://5series.net/forums/topic/985...&#entry1172186

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by theXman
There are 2 ways to upgrade:

1) You can buy a stand alone HID kit that basically uses your existing headlight housing and replaces the halogen bulbs with HID. It's the less expensive route to have HID brightness. But keep in mind that the beam pattern of the lights is all over and can be distracted to oncoming traffic. They might be illegal in some places.

2) A member here is providing a conversion service with a plug-n-play solution to convert from Halogen to HID headlights using OEM HID headlights. You will have the OEM look. You can read more about it here... https://5series.net/forums/topic/985...&#entry1172186

Hope this helps.
Thnx budd where would you recommend i get the HID kit from and do u know which in particular i shld go it. Yeah it would be nice if i can do the halogen conversation service but i doubt i can find anyone that does that in MN
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Get it from our respected member, John (brabusw209amg), just send him a PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by trevfun
Thnx budd where would you recommend i get the HID kit from and do u know which in particular i shld go it. Yeah it would be nice if i can do the halogen conversation service but i doubt i can find anyone that does that in MN
You should read the thread I linked. He sells the whole HID headlights (plug-n-play, ready to go) regardless of locations.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

you can also change your halogen bulbs as well
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

trevfun - Something you should know about the vendor who posted above. Please read this... https://5series.net/forums/topic/945...-e92-lighting/
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by theXman
trevfun - Something you should know about the vendor who posted above. Please read this... https://5series.net/forums/topic/945...-e92-lighting/
wow thats horrible service thnx for the heads up..Btw about the earlier link u sent me it sounds like i would have to dismount my headlight and send it in right? i would be without a car if i did that so i think i will go with the HID kits you talked about i just pm brabus to see what he has for halogen's.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Members

wow thats horrible service thnx for the heads up..Btw about the earlier link u sent me it sounds like i would have to dismount my headlight and send it in right? i would be without a car if i did that so i think i will go with the HID kits you talked about i just pm brabus to see what he has for halogen's.
The way I understood the headlight conversion service thread is that you first buy/source the OEM Xenon lights yourself (pre-LCI OR LCI ones?? - not sure which ones the member offering this service is able to convert). Either way, its a great way of getting the OEM xenon set up. So your car won't be off road. After you install your converted OEM Xenon headlights on your car, you can just dispose/sell your old halogen lights.

The idea is that once he has converted (the wiring on it ?) -- it will then basically plug and play with your halogen light wiring without you needing any further mods/coding/reprogramming. Amazing idea and service I think. I'm in the UK otherwise I would have done it in a heartbeat after finding the OEM Xenon headlights (maybe from ebay). Still I would consider sending the lights all the way to this member for the conversion and pay for shipping there and back !!

Putting an HID kit into halogen headlights (meaning without projectors) does not even come close to doing this in the "proper" way, though it could be considered as the cheaper alternative or even a compromise. The beam pattern with HID into halogens could be questionable if not simply illegal depending on the local rules.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Contributors

No. Your halogen headlights are no longer needed. He will send you a set of HID projector headlights (OEM, used) with all wirings done.
Actually, brabuswamg209 also has a different offering for Halogen-to-HID solution.
Here is the link to the thread... https://5series.net/forums/topic/927...ci-model-only/

Quick Reply: Halogen lighting upgrade