E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had my car towed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='461787' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:20 PM
Thats only true for professionals... some of these people will just tow just for the heck of towing and not care about the car. But hopefully there was no damage done.
Knowing the City of Boston Transportation Dept., I'd bet they slim-jimmed their way into the car, ignoring the blasting security system, popped the gear lever into neutral, dropped the emergency brake, lifted the front wheels and dragged it away. I've never seen a flat-bed called a "hard tow" in the Boston area, used by the Boston Trans. Dept. I'd look for damage around the doors & windows, and under the front end.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Thumbs down

just thinking about that and wondering how do the rear wheels move if the transmisssion is in 1st gear?

Get it checked i,d say to be sure of no damage
Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='461718
Knowing the City of Boston Transportation Dept., I'd bet they slim-jimmed their way into the car, ignoring the blasting security system, popped the gear lever into neutral, dropped the emergency brake, lifted the front wheels and dragged it away. I've never seen a flat-bed called a "hard tow" in the Boston area, used by the Boston Trans. Dept. I'd look for damage around the doors & windows, and under the front end.
Slim-jimming is not possible.
The towing company knows that BMW's are rear wheel drive cars. The first thing you do before towing, you look inside. Seeing the gear and the handbrake, lifting the rear is teh easiest way of towing. This is not leaving any damage, if done correctly.

The one thing I don't understand in the USA... why is no towing company using Pick-Away Towtrucks? It takes about 2 minutes and the car is gone...

Just two quick pics of such pick-away towtrucks...

Had my car towed-hummer.jpg

Had my car towed-schlepp1.jpg
Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='461871' date='Aug 23 2007, 07:00 PM
Exactly.
Slim-jimming is not possible.
The towing company knows that BMW's are rear wheel drive cars. The first thing you do before towing, you look inside. Seeing the gear and the handbrake, lifting the rear is teh easiest way of towing. This is not leaving any damage, if done correctly.

The one thing I don't understand in the USA... why is no towing company using Pick-Away Towtrucks? It takes about 2 minutes and the car is gone...

Attachment 36677

Attachment 36678
Sorry, to digress, but I can't imagine piloting a Hummer through Europe...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='461886' date='Aug 24 2007, 01:51 AM
Sorry, to digress, but I can't imagine piloting a Hummer through Europe...
They are very popular here. Hard to get, since there's just one dealer in Munich who imports them exclusively.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='461871' date='Aug 23 2007, 04:00 PM
Cuz it costs more than the regular crappy two trucks.

You would think that the towers know BMWs are Rear wheel drive... but have you seen the people here? A lot are clueless.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Contributors

If the car needs to be towed, I believe the manual states to use a flatbed or damage could result.

I had to be towed, but a flatbed wasn't available at the time. They lifted from the rear and when the car arrived at the dealer, I believe there were a lot of error codes in idrive, but no physical damage to speak of.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Gee heezy545i,

I almost slammed my 21 inch screen for that f**king bug in your sign...

Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='461905' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:03 PM
If the car needs to be towed, I believe the manual states to use a flatbed or damage could result.

I had to be towed, but a flatbed wasn't available at the time. They lifted from the rear and when the car arrived at the dealer, I believe there were a lot of error codes in idrive, but no physical damage to speak of.
Not to burst your bubble, but this was the Boston Transportation Department towing a car which was parked illegally. When I'm out this afternoon I'll take a photo of one of their trucks in action if I can find one and post it here. OP is probably wondering if it might have been better to have the boot on one of his nice new wheels instead of unseen damage to running gear.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Yes, when the towing company purchases towing vehicles I do not believe the take into consideration being careful not to damage BMW owners vehicles. I think they look at how cheaply they can buy a towing vehicle.

Quick Reply: Had my car towed