E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had my car towed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an infrequent "dah" moment, I left my car on a Boston street that did not allow parking every 1st and 4th Wednesday morning of the month due to street cleaning (who would have thought that the 22nd could have been the 4th Wednesday of the month? - look at a calendar!).

Anyway, the car was towed. It is a manual shift. I left it in first gear. The emergency brake was set. The city of Boston uses old fashioned tow trucks meaning the front end was lifted and the rear wheels would have rolled as it was towed.

So my obvious question. Could this have done damage to the transmission or some other aspect of the car?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='461713' date='Aug 23 2007, 10:56 AM
In an infrequent "dah" moment, I left my car on a Boston street that did not allow parking every 1st and 4th Wednesday morning of the month due to street cleaning (who would have thought that the 22nd could have been the 4th Wednesday of the month? - look at a calendar!).

Anyway, the car was towed. It is a manual shift. I left it in first gear. The emergency brake was set. The city of Boston uses old fashioned tow trucks meaning the front end was lifted and the rear wheels would have rolled as it was towed.

So my obvious question. Could this have done damage to the transmission or some other aspect of the car?
I'd think they'd have either popped open the lock and took it out of gear, or used a dolly.

I'd doubt they damaged it. If you are concerned, I'd put it on a rack and check out the underside.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They would have either lifted from the rear or they would have placed the rear wheels on dollies. They would not likely have drug it on the drive wheels while it's in gear with the break on.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='461713' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:56 AM

I'm sitting here puzzled how a stick car left in first gear with the handbrake engaged can be possibly towed with the rear wheels touching the ground. Just not possible. It must have been towed in some other fashion.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='461713' date='Aug 23 2007, 05:56 PM
How could the rear wheels roll with 1st gear in and the hand brake on?

No way they could have gone into the car, with the security alarm and safe locks.

Are you sure they didn't lift it from the rear?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

What a shame!! Anyway, you might want to retrieve your vehicle from impound using your dealer's flat bed. I would be afraid that the front end suspension was damaged. At least find out from impound what they did and report to your dealer for their advice in the matter. This is a sticky situation.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree that there's no way they picked it up from the front unless they got under it and disconnected the driveshaft and the parking brake cables.

It's more likely they either dragged it onto a flatbed (which wouldn't be the greatest thing) or they lifted it from the rear.

Iceman is the towing expert here -- maybe he can add an opinion...
Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Ayrton Senna was one of the greatest!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Call them and ask how they towed it. I bet if you check the front or rear fascias, you'll figure it out quuickly which end they picked up.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='461717' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:02 AM
I'd think they'd have either popped open the lock and took it out of gear, or used a dolly.

I'd doubt they damaged it. If you are concerned, I'd put it on a rack and check out the underside.

Thats only true for professionals... some of these people will just tow just for the heck of towing and not care about the car. But hopefully there was no damage done.

Quick Reply: Had my car towed