E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had to have two rims replaced......

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to hitting a medium pothole at around 55mph in my 06 550i. Hands down, despite what some people say......this is a runflat tire issue.

They simply don't give over bumps and it helped cause the wheels to bend. Its either that or the cast 18in sport wheels are pieces of s*it.

I've had many cars (3 other BMWs on the list) and NEVER had a bent rim that needed replacement. The 550i is the 1st car I've had with runflats.

Had the car about 1.5 years and had 2 bent wheels that needed to be replaced. And a third that I was told has a slight bend while it was at the dealer, but they said to see how it is and if its annoying I can go ahead and order a third wheel (lucky me).

I've also had one runflat tire rip to shreds while driving for who knows what reason awhile back, not covered under warranty.

On top of that, I think I-drive absolutely stinks as do my friends (including one who works for Microsoft).....its slow and not intuitive. BMW please go back to buttons.

Add to that a funky transmission that is sort of all over the place, but I can deal with it.

Also, even through the rotors and brake pads were replaced.....the brakes still grind a bit when slowing down. Not as bad as before, but they still do it.

I realize that all cars have problems, but can't wait to get rid of this thing. Counting down the days to lease end. Hope you are all enjoying your cars more than I am.

/end rant
Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Agree with you on the thumpflats but not so on the iDrive. I do not want to see the BMW interior looking like an airplane cockpit with a gazillon buttons. From what I have read the latest iDrive on the LCI is rather fast.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='414131' date='Apr 15 2007, 11:58 PM
Agree with you on the thumpflats but not so on the iDrive. I do not want to see the BMW interior looking like an airplane cockpit with a gazillon buttons. From what I have read the latest iDrive on the LCI is rather fast.

Please, you drive like a baby anyways.

But really that sucks tho, you just have to be careful with potholes really. I've heard about people complaining to their cities about getting reimbursed for car damages when things like this happens, blaming it on faulty/dangerous streets.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thumpflats stink... but is safe...

iDrive is good. No complaints here... IMO It's even better than Lexus touch screen NAV. iDrive is more intuitive and easier to work when driving.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 not complaints on the idrive.

your rims on your 550.. oem 124s? ive read other issues like yours that involved the 124s. maybe its not only the runflat tires, but those wheels in general.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by 50cal' post='414128' date='Apr 15 2007, 11:53 PM
Add to that a funky transmission that is sort of all over the place, but I can deal with it.
glad I went with the 6spd manual.

to address the topic at hand my front passenger side rim may be bent so now im curious..

how did the car drive when you first notice the problem , did you happen to feel a vibration in your steering wheel similar to a bad wheel balance?

at times inside my car it sounds like a bad wheel bearing but it's not constant so I figure it's the texture of the road surface.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Not to be too biased or anything, but I think our steps are one of the best out there. The DS mode is smart enough to "anticipate" where you want the gear to be, you can control the RPMs to a degree where the computer will take over if you ever happen to push it past redline, you can never mis-shift, and anyone can drive one. The step is also more fuel efficient than the SMGs and 6spd, easier to launch/quicker off the line. The SMG looks really fun and of course the 6spd may provide the most thrills, but the steps have a buttload of benefits as well, except for occasional downshift jerkyness.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by .:reza:.' post='414170' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:19 AM
glad I went with the 6spd manual.

to address the topic at hand my front passenger side rim may be bent so now im curious..

how did the car drive when you first notice the problem , did you happen to feel a vibration in your steering wheel similar to a bad wheel balance?
You'll notice a shimmy/vibration in the cabin (wasn't so much the steering wheel)......or while making a turn give it gas and see how the suspected bent wheel reacts.

Now I know which wheel is bent and can tell that its not normal. Was hoping that since it was a slight bend it wouldn't be noticable.

These are the 124 sport pack. wheels, and as said its either the runflats or the wheels are just garbage (or both).

I-drive is a personal thing, I'm just not into it and actually prefer Lexus school of thought that they don't believe in one central controller for most of the cars functions. So if you look in a new LS interior, its an airplane.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Did you have tire/wheel insurance?

Re the wheels, on 18" wheels, the runflat is not that much different than a non runflat interms of sidewall strength and 18" low profile wheels are far more prone to bending and such than other wheels with more rubber around them.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='414292' date='Apr 16 2007, 11:29 AM
Did you have tire/wheel insurance?

Re the wheels, on 18" wheels, the runflat is not that much different than a non runflat interms of sidewall strength and 18" low profile wheels are far more prone to bending and such than other wheels with more rubber around them.
Nope, at the time it was never mentioned and I didn't really know abou the insurance.

Yeah, runflats are like a standard 18in tire...except they are runflats and are hard as a rock.

I've had cars with 18s, 19s, and currently also 20s (although that rig has run flats also, but the wheels are forged).

The 550i again is the only vehicle I've had in which the wheels bent.

Quick Reply: Had to have two rims replaced......