E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Grippy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this also when I first got the car. This is my frst automatic and in my previous manuals I always released the pressure on the breaks slightly just as I was coming to a halt in order to avoid jerking.

I've had to change my technique slighthly in the automatic as if I release the pressure in the same way that I did with the manual transmission, the auto moves forward again. I don't pay much attention to it now, but I think I stilll ease the pressure, but not just as much.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributors

For braking I use the right foot too....
Old 07-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Sorry about the long post on the virtues of left foot braking, I thought you all might find it useful.

Because in the absence of a clutch to separate the driven wheels from the engine it's the only way to remain in full control of an automatic, especially when manouvering. An engine may surge at any time, either due to a fault, due the engine ECU protecting the catalytic converter from unburned fuel, or due to driver error or muscular spasm. In the time it can then take to get the right foot from the accelerator to the brake a child could be run over and killed (there were three such cases within days of each other in September 2003). In addition, elderly drivers are known to have become confused and instead of braking with the right root have stabbed the accelerator.

That's why I recommend elderly drivers to to think very carefully before making a switch from a lifetime of manuals to an automatic. Often it's too late to safely make the change. The problem with automatic transmission is that, unless the driver drives 'two footed', he or she has far less control over the car than over a manual ? which is why we read of many deaths and injuries caused by 'out of control' automatics. What usually happens is that during the engine's warm-up phase, or if the engine has been over-fuelling, the electronic control unit raises engine revs to above the point at which drive is taken up in the transmission, and the car starts to move. The driver may then panic, attempt to brake heavily, but hit the accelerator instead of the brake, and the car either crashes or runs someone over. (The phenomenon even has a name: 'Sudden Acceleration Syndrome'.) You cannot predict precisely when the car's ECU will increase revs independently, so my advice is to only buy an automatic if you can teach yourself to brake with your left foot at least while manoeuvring, which keeps the car fully under control. Skilled drivers left-foot-brake automatics ? and even manuals ? all the time, but not everyone can get their heads around the technique for everyday driving, especially if they switch between the two types of transmission.

Two further examples of death by right foot braking of automatics:

A retired driving instructor was manouvering his Mini automatic in a supermarket carpark using only his right foot as he had always taught his pupils. Either the engine surged or he had a spasm. He quickly tamped his right foot on the brake, hit the accelerator instead and the Mini went into a wall. He died of his injuries.

A man was parking his BMW automatic in a Hong Kong multi storey car park. Either the engine sudddenly surged or the driver had a spasm. He tried to brake. Hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Crashed through the safety barrier and plunged six floors to his death.

The technique is as follows:

Right foot for the accelerator; left foot for the brake. Best employed while manoeuvring to retain total control over the car rather than losing it in the time it takes to move the right foot from accelerator to brake. But with practise the skill to use it all the time can be developed, with no problem of confusion when you get back into a manual. Can also be used on a manual, of course, but that really does take skill.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jul 20 2004, 11:51 PM
But with practise the skill to use it all the time can be developed, with no problem of confusion when you get back into a manual. Can also be used on a manual, of course, but that really does take skill.
Switching back to a manual is waaay easier when you used the right foot, this is not just my experience.
I would recommend using the right foot until you want to race or drive your car sporty. Using the left foot DOES take a LOT of practice and is not easy to learn.
I am one of the lucky guys who can do both and even has no problems with switching back to manuals - and I wouldn't tell anybody that he needs to learn using the left foot.
It is really helpful if you need to make an emergency brake when you drive "both footed"... Your reaction time is faster.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Members

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear I'm not alone on the brake issue.

I'll let you know if the dealer does anything to help.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Last time I replied on "grippy brakes" was just a couple of hundred miles ago for my ride. Fortunately, it's improved substantially since then as far as being able to come to a smooth stop. I still have to concentrate on brake pressure but still have some jerky stops.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Um... you are supposed to press hard on the vertical pedal, not the horizontal one!

I know what you mean, the brakes are responsive... I read somewhere that BMW brake logic and tuning give you something like 60ms better braking response time than "normal" stock brakes... and 60ms at 60mph (~100kph) was about 50 feet! That can be signifigant!

I drive my mothers Town Car from time to time, and you have to push that damn thing to the floor to get that beast to stop.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:27 PM
JDN
Contributors

Same thing with my wife's Continental. You really have to apply the pressure and even then there is no comparison to the Bimmer. My brakes are perfect. Jimbo, do you pivot the ball of your foot on the pedal with your heel resting on the floor? The reason I asked, is because my wife doesn't and she can really rock you with her stops.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

My brakes are perfect.
I've been on a road trip today and had to make an emergency braking on the Autobahn, while driving 190 Km/h.
No problems to have control and to stop early enough, all I needed to worry about was the Audi behind me. I guess there was just enough space in between our cars to fit a piece of paper in there...
He looked shocked...
The brakes on the Bimmer are GREAT !
Old 07-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

my brakes saved a pedestrians life today. i was going thru a green light when a stupid guy stepped of the curb n ran across the road. he must have been drunk or was trying to kill himself or both! my car was at 50kmh and was still climbing the speedo when i stomped on the brakes with my left foot (i accelerate with right n brake with left). the car stopped 1 foot away from him. i felt the abs, traction control...dtc..xyz..n wot not electronics took over in those split seconds. car's balance under braking was perfect..no tram-lining..just a few puff of smoke which i cud c from my side mirrors.

was horrible experience..felt mad at the guy as he just walked off..my knees shook all the way after that. thank god for the brakes...

Quick Reply: Grippy brakes