E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The great EQ logic7 topic

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a side note it seems that concert settings is the way to go on most topics. Not many people like theater with i find strange as it seems on most topics theater is the settings that give the sound coming most from the front windshield witch basicly should be a good thing
Old 03-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Agreed, and I know from your many posts on audio that you know what you are talking about, but I wonder how many of us are really that interested in car audio competitions, significant aftermarket mods or RTA meters - but are basically happy with what we have but like tweaking it a little by trying out some other users' settings?
I understand what you are saying... and I was not suggesting anyone get an RTA meter.

I was simply trying to make a point, which is that any time you change your CD... your ideal EQ settings will instantly change. For this reason, it's not going to be very beneficial to copy someone else's settings.

a certain comments on most topics about the eq seems to be a V shape settings might be the way to go as voices seems overdone by the system?
This is the most common EQ curve configuration seen in car audio competition. A slight V or U shape. The reason for this is twofold:

1. In competition, you are graded on the consistency of your EQ curve. This means that they use an RTA meter and get a graph of your EQ curve. The smoother the curve, the higher your score. A perfectly flat curve would get a perfect score.... but so could a V or U shaped curve, so long as there is never a step up or down of more than one LED light. (The Audiocontrol RTA meter is standard IASCA issue, and it uses LED lights to draw the RTA curve)

AudioControl Brochure

This is a link to the brochure for the Audio Control RTA meter which is the industry standard in competition car audio. If you look at page 2, you'll see how it displays an EQ response curve. The curve shown is a very poor one. This is because there are numerous points where the curve shifts by more than a single LED light increment up or down. An ideal curve can have some up and down movement, but it should not exceed a single LED jump at a time. If you look at the left side, you'll see that the bass is EQ'd way down... and then the levels rise quickly moving to the right. The increments there are 2 LED positions at a time, so this would score poorly. You'll also notice that the signal gets clipped at the top of the meter about 1/4 of the way over to the right. This would be bad, also.

2. The other reason is that the human ear is most sensitive to midrange sounds. High range and deep bass sounds are harder to hear. However, stereo speakers are very efficient at producing midrange sounds. For example, a midrange speaker does not require as much amp power and a subwoofer. A tweeter needs even less power than a midrange.... but it's harder to hear, also.

So, you'll commonly see EQs with a dip in the midrange to compensate for the ear's sensitivity to those midrange sounds... and for the efficiency of your speakers. Sub bass and tweeters commonly need boosting.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

on a side note it seems that concert settings is the way to go on most topics. Not many people like theater with i find strange as it seems on most topics theater is the settings that give the sound coming most from the front windshield witch basicly should be a good thing
The theater does give a stronger, front image. But the concert hall sounds better to me, because it gives a strong front image... but retains better tonal balance, and has a wider soundstage. It makes the music come from upfront, but sounds like the stage is wider than the theater setting.

But, that's just how my ears hear it.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 6 2005, 10:47 PM
The theater does give a stronger, front image. But the concert hall sounds better to me, because it gives a strong front image... but retains better tonal balance, and has a wider soundstage. It makes the music come from upfront, but sounds like the stage is wider than the theater setting.

But, that's just how my ears hear it.
[snapback]97948[/snapback]
Ok thanks very helpfull. I understand. So in theatre the band is all packed together playing and the gitar man and drummer are standing in the same spot and concert hall they stand 2O feet away from each other so you can point your finger at the spot they are playing on the stage. Is that how you mean it?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Ok thanks very helpfull. I understand. So in theatre the band is all packed together playing and the gitar man and drummer are standing in the same spot? and concert hall they stand 2O feet away from each other so you can point your finger at the spot they are playing on the stage. Is that how you mean it?
Well, unfortunately the actual positioning of instruments is not very good with the Harmon-Kardon system.

But to answer your question, yes. I hear the sound as coming from a wider field on Concert Hall than with the Theater setting.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 6 2005, 10:56 PM
Ok thanks very helpfull. I understand. So in theatre the band is all packed together playing and the gitar man and drummer are standing in the same spot? and concert hall they stand 2O feet away from each other so you can point your finger at the spot they are playing on the stage. Is that how you mean it?
Well, unfortunately the actual positioning of instruments is not very good with the Harmon-Kardon system.

But to answer your question, yes. I hear the sound as coming from a wider field on Concert Hall than with the Theater setting.
[snapback]97953[/snapback]
Ok thanks