E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

GPS Freaking Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i TI Silver, Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation
Question

I've been reading these forums since I purchased my 2005 545i in January and must say this is the *BEST* source for information and everyone is incredibly helpful.

I haven't had any problems for the first 5 months but all of a sudden my GPS system sporadically acts up and misplaces my car on the maps. I drove all the way from the San Francisco to Napa and the map showed my car about at least a half mile off course (sometimes showing me driving thru the bay!). It magically fixed itself on the return trip but freaked out about half way home and again incorrectly placed the car on the maps. This has happened at least 4 times over the last few weeks and is getting annoying. Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for GPS systems?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I saw some very odd behaviur last week - firstly TMC stopped working and then halfway through my journey the Nav thought I was on a road which was some distance from where I was. I stopped the car for fuel and when I returned everything was back to normal.

I put it down to the heat - it was a Very hot day. I had the Nav freak out on my E46 once aswell - this was also on a very hot day.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

Can't specifically comment on the E60 system, still patiently waiting for delivery.

But my mercs command system will occasionally get it wrong - usually parallel to the actual way I am going. Also occasionally it will reboot for no aparent reason. I assumed it was environmental influences - maybe passing high RF sources or maybe that the GPS aerial temprarily looses site of enough sats. The fact it goes back to normal soon enough as I move on makes me think it doesn't have much to do with the car.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GJ 545i' date='Jun 25 2005, 06:53 AM
I've been reading these forums since I purchased my 2005 545i in January and must say this is the *BEST* source for information and everyone is incredibly helpful.? ?

I haven't had any problems for the first 5 months but all of a sudden my GPS system sporadically acts up and misplaces my car on the maps.? I drove all the way from the San Francisco to Napa and the map showed my car about at least a half mile off course (sometimes showing me driving thru the bay!).? It magically fixed itself on the return trip but freaked out about half way home and again incorrectly placed the car on the maps.? This has happened at least 4 times over the last few weeks and is getting annoying.? ? Anyone else experience this?? Is this normal for GPS systems?
[snapback]142936[/snapback]
Had exactly the same happen to me once. For one day I had a position offset on the map (and also got some mileage over the river ).

It cured itself after a good night sleep. Mentioned it to the dealer later, but never happened again.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Members

Mine did that once; pressed the menu button, back to nav again, and it was fine. I suspect it has more to do with computer bugs and crashes than it does with strange atmospheric disturbances
Old 06-25-2005, 06:49 PM
JDN
Contributors

Welcome to the forum, GJ 545i. I had a Garmin that did that on occasions. NAV hasn't done it to me yet.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributors

I had it where my nav showed my car driving off the end of the world. The map just ended and I was happily driving in "nothingness" - according to my Nav system. But that was with a copy of the DVD and not the original. I have never had any problems with the original.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:32 AM
I had it where my nav showed my car driving off the end of the world. The map just ended and I was happily driving in "nothingness" - according to my Nav system. But that was with a copy of the DVD and not the original. I have never had any problems with the original.

[snapback]143080[/snapback]
I am running with copy and keeping original in box. Have had no issues since beginning of May. Just lucky, I guess.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

There is a USA TSB out for E60 that sho the car wrongly on the map

Its apparently a software glitch that makes the car stop checking GPS signals and reverts to internal navigation

The fix is to load CIP 17.1

Ill post the TSB number when I find it again
Old 06-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Sounds like a good excuse to take it to the dealer for a software upgrade with the next service

Quick Reply: GPS Freaking Out?