5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   GPS Freaking Out? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/gps-freaking-out-13030/)

GJ 545i 06-24-2005 10:53 PM

I've been reading these forums since I purchased my 2005 545i in January and must say this is the *BEST* source for information and everyone is incredibly helpful.

I haven't had any problems for the first 5 months but all of a sudden my GPS system sporadically acts up and misplaces my car on the maps. I drove all the way from the San Francisco to Napa and the map showed my car about at least a half mile off course (sometimes showing me driving thru the bay!). It magically fixed itself on the return trip but freaked out about half way home and again incorrectly placed the car on the maps. This has happened at least 4 times over the last few weeks and is getting annoying. Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for GPS systems?

marty530d 06-25-2005 06:13 AM

I saw some very odd behaviur last week - firstly TMC stopped working and then halfway through my journey the Nav thought I was on a road which was some distance from where I was. I stopped the car for fuel and when I returned everything was back to normal.

I put it down to the heat - it was a Very hot day. I had the Nav freak out on my E46 once aswell - this was also on a very hot day.

Brendan 06-25-2005 06:43 AM

Can't specifically comment on the E60 system, still patiently waiting for delivery. :wow:

But my mercs command system will occasionally get it wrong - usually parallel to the actual way I am going. Also occasionally it will reboot for no aparent reason. I assumed it was environmental influences - maybe passing high RF sources or maybe that the GPS aerial temprarily looses site of enough sats. The fact it goes back to normal soon enough as I move on makes me think it doesn't have much to do with the car. :thumbsup:

seakat 06-25-2005 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by GJ 545i' date='Jun 25 2005, 06:53 AM
I've been reading these forums since I purchased my 2005 545i in January and must say this is the *BEST* source for information and everyone is incredibly helpful.? ?

I haven't had any problems for the first 5 months but all of a sudden my GPS system sporadically acts up and misplaces my car on the maps.? I drove all the way from the San Francisco to Napa and the map showed my car about at least a half mile off course (sometimes showing me driving thru the bay!).? It magically fixed itself on the return trip but freaked out about half way home and again incorrectly placed the car on the maps.? This has happened at least 4 times over the last few weeks and is getting annoying.? ? Anyone else experience this?? Is this normal for GPS systems?
[snapback]142936[/snapback]

Had exactly the same happen to me once. For one day I had a position offset on the map (and also got some mileage over the river :P ).

It cured itself after a good night sleep. Mentioned it to the dealer later, but never happened again.

Rich535d 06-25-2005 04:17 PM

Mine did that once; pressed the menu button, back to nav again, and it was fine. I suspect it has more to do with computer bugs and crashes than it does with strange atmospheric disturbances :wacko:

JDN 06-25-2005 06:49 PM

Welcome to the forum, GJ 545i. I had a Garmin that did that on occasions. NAV hasn't done it to me yet.

uwsc11 06-25-2005 10:32 PM

I had it where my nav showed my car driving off the end of the world. The map just ended and I was happily driving in "nothingness" - according to my Nav system. But that was with a copy of the DVD and not the original. I have never had any problems with the original.

:)

cobradav 06-26-2005 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by uwsc11' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:32 AM
I had it where my nav showed my car driving off the end of the world. The map just ended and I was happily driving in "nothingness" - according to my Nav system. But that was with a copy of the DVD and not the original. I have never had any problems with the original.

:)
[snapback]143080[/snapback]

I am running with copy and keeping original in box. Have had no issues since beginning of May. Just lucky, I guess.

E60Speed 06-26-2005 11:43 AM

There is a USA TSB out for E60 that sho the car wrongly on the map

Its apparently a software glitch that makes the car stop checking GPS signals and reverts to internal navigation

The fix is to load CIP 17.1

Ill post the TSB number when I find it again

mflauer 06-26-2005 04:29 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to take it to the dealer for a software upgrade with the next service