E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gotta claim ingorance on this one...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Hi everyone,

I have an 07 530i, AT, RWD and wanted to get some input or if anyone knows for sure if shifting into "sport mode" often is bad / hard on my transmission. I find myself switching over to sports mode when im going down a hill or coming up on stopped traffic a little too fast... I like to switch over to sport and rev high so the car will slow down without having to hit the brakes so hard...

Anyone have any issues with this method of shifting? Stupid question but not sure how the v6 engines and transmission are built for performance.

Thanks!
Ryan
Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I find myself shifting in and out of D, DS and manual mode all the time depending on what I'm doing.
Merging, hard braking, cruising or just straight gunning it.
I figure it's a little harder on the engine and transmission but shit BMW put it on there might as well use it.
Just maintain your car properly i.e. engine, transmission and differential fluid changes AHEAD of BMW's bullshit maintenance schedule and you should be fine.

oh yea and it's an I6.
people are kind of fussing about that on this forum...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

with the sports automatic transmission this kind of "engine-braking" is not possible, because if you shift down,the engine will rev up automatically to a perfect rpm.
I don't know if it's the same for the standard tranny, but it's quite funny if you drive around and shift with the paddles and short before overtaking shift down 3 gears..
The auto-tranny can jump up to 2 gears if you shift down to achieve high rpm's.

Just try it.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Contributors

its fine you wont hurt anything
Old 10-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Originally Posted by ivano
with the sports automatic transmission this kind of "engine-braking" is not possible, because if you shift down,the engine will rev up automatically to a perfect rpm.
I don't know if it's the same for the standard tranny, but it's quite funny if you drive around and shift with the paddles and short before overtaking shift down 3 gears..
The auto-tranny can jump up to 2 gears if you shift down to achieve high rpm's.

Just try it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I only throw it in sports mode when applying the brake on a quicker stop. I dont manually downshift to stop faster (can't say I haven't done it tho)... I know it will rev higher to offset the switch to sports mode but it does help to slow the car down a little faster once you get below 30/35 mphs. I agree with jgt too that I love the car and will maintain everything before bmw's suggested intervals but unfortunately I have put too many mods in the car to not ride it hard at time. Life is short, I ride her hard...