E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Used E60 - What To Service/Check First?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hey everyone,

I just bought a used E60 with some good miles on it and I am wondering what I should have checked and/or serviced first at the dealer.

Tonight I'm going in for my first oil change, I'd like to get as much stuff done as possible. It's an 04 525i auto with a build date of June 2004. I have the navigation system and the large screen (however I am not sure if it's Business Nav or Professional Nav).

I bought the car with no records, but it seems to drive well (compared to my old E46).

What can you guys recommend I start with? I am clueless... Please post feedback since my appointment is this evening.... Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='400721' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:30 AM
Hey everyone,

I just bought a used E60 with some good miles on it and I am wondering what I should have checked and/or serviced first at the dealer.

Tonight I'm going in for my first oil change, I'd like to get as much stuff done as possible. It's an 04 525i auto with a build date of June 2004. I have the navigation system and the large screen (however I am not sure if it's Business Nav or Professional Nav).

I bought the car with no records, but it seems to drive well (compared to my old E46).

What can you guys recommend I start with? I am clueless... Please post feedback since my appointment is this evening.... Thanks!
join the club you have the same car as me before and now.
you taking it to the dealers. Is the car still under warranty?
If so then her is what I would check and change.
1. check Door seals, if make noise get them to change them.
2. change 2 Micro filter.
3. Engine oil and oil filter which you are doing.
4. See if the brakes need changing or if itis soon they tell them to do it now.
5. change brake fuild.
6. change air filter.
7. top up the coolent.
8. check the sun roof for noise when doing about 100km or 60mph if so get them to ajust the sunroof.
9. check wippers.
If you car is not under warranty I would still check these things every 6 months.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='400721' date='Mar 9 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone,

It's worth posting your location in your sig, there may be different issues depending where you live.

The dealer should be able to pull up the service history for you from BMW records, ask for it.

Ask them to check for any 'outstanding issues', they should do this anyway, this checks the database for your car to ensure all recalls etc. have been done.

The servicing is condition based so anything that needs doing should be on the i-drive under service.

Brake fluid should have been changed every 2 years, brakes etc will show you remaining life in the i-drive service screen.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything else unless your dealer finds a problem with the service history.

How many miles has it got on?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Members

Make sure all the electrics work, if there are any problems with them, particularly related to i drive get it sorted whilst it's still under warranty.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Great responses so far... the car is not under warranty, and it's currently over 90K (the last owner drove an average of 38K miles per year)... and the build date is June 2004....

Any specific quirks I should look for?

Originally Posted by s_henge' post='400747' date='Mar 9 2007, 12:05 PM
Make sure all the electrics work, if there are any problems with them, particularly related to i drive get it sorted whilst it's still under warranty.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Members

I'm on a fairly tight budget, so I will look at the major things first...

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='400758' date='Mar 9 2007, 12:55 PM
Great responses so far... the car is not under warranty, and it's currently over 90K (the last owner drove an average of 38K miles per year)... and the build date is June 2004....

Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='400758' date='Mar 9 2007, 05:55 PM

Maybe others will tell you whether you need a new cam belt.

Ouch!

ABC
Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: "Angel I's" 2005 525i Debadged, Remote Homelink, Full Burl Package, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, BMW Wheel Stems, Biege Rubba Matz, EURO Tag, Dual Zone Vents, Automatic Car Ventilation, Rescue Kit. Due up: Aux Input, TINT, and K&N Filter and some Zaino LOVE for my Angel.
I agree with the other post, MOST of the important items will be shown to you in the iDRIVE Menu. Pressing the I key then going to the service menu will show you what's up. I needed my microfilter and brake fluid changed and it was shown in the menu.

I've learned after being here as a member, it's the TOYZ!! If you bought it from a slaeman who had NO idea what the car was about internally ie: Being "CD Prepped", CD Player capable of playing MP3's, AUX Input, L7 Logic, HUD, BLUETOOTH, Homelink and the like. I didn't have any idea about my E-60 because, I spent 2 hours in a 2003 745. They gave me the 525i to take home while the bank was working on the 745 deal. The salesman didn't know EVERYTHING about the car. I decided for financial reasons as well as warranty cosiderations that the 60 would be the piece I would take.

I found out AFTER it was detailed, by myself, (because I wasn't sure I would take the car AND the detail guy QUIT for the Winter!!) ...that there was a small peeble hit on the windshield..and starting to spider a little. Gonna cost me 60 bucks for a patch, but for what I received in amentities/TOYZ.....that they didn't know I had.....It's cool.

So I would have looked into the amenities/TOYZ, the service stuff is taken care of visually and by the computer. BTW, 90K for that year is BEZERK miles He really rolled that baby around....even around the corner to the store huh? You'll love it just the same, but see the post for a HOOPTIE!!

Good Luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Members

All of this is great info... I'll have to go through the iDrive menu's and see what items is shows me... I'm just not used to having a car that actually TELLS you what's wrong with it... I had the 3 series before and you'd simply guess at what items needed to be serviced...

How about the automatic trans? Has anyone had problem with their trans in the E60 yet?

Originally Posted by pro2cer' post='400777' date='Mar 9 2007, 01:33 PM
I agree with the other post, MOST of the important items will be shown to you in the iDRIVE Menu. Pressing the I key then going to the service menu will show you what's up. I needed my microfilter and brake fluid changed and it was shown in the menu.

I've learned after being here as a member, it's the TOYZ!! If you bought it from a slaeman who had NO idea what the car was about internally ie: Being "CD Prepped", CD Player capable of playing MP3's, AUX Input, L7 Logic, HUD, BLUETOOTH, Homelink and the like. I didn't have any idea about my E-60 because, I spent 2 hours in a 2003 745. They gave me the 525i to take home while the bank was working on the 745 deal. The salesman didn't know EVERYTHING about the car. I decided for financial reasons as well as warranty cosiderations that the 60 would be the piece I would take.

I found out AFTER it was detailed, by myself, (because I wasn't sure I would take the car AND the detail guy QUIT for the Winter!!) ...that there was a small peeble hit on the windshield..and starting to spider a little. Gonna cost me 60 bucks for a patch, but for what I received in amentities/TOYZ.....that they didn't know I had.....It's cool.

So I would have looked into the amenities/TOYZ, the service stuff is taken care of visually and by the computer. BTW, 90K for that year is BEZERK miles He really rolled that baby around....even around the corner to the store huh? You'll love it just the same, but see the post for a HOOPTIE!!

Good Luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Nope, solid as a rock.

Quick Reply: Got Used E60 - What To Service/Check First?