E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

got smoked by an Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E60ROCKS
So a bunch of you prob know i got an 07 525xi a few months ago and i ve been trying to mod it gradually, well enough of the gradually i'm going all out after today's incedent. So i got off work today, got on the high way and saw a white fully moded S4. I pulled up next to him without any intention of racing but he gave me that look and you could just tell it was on, next thing i know he is off i was trying so hard to keep up with him but it wasnt pretty. At the end as we was about to exit the highway, he pulled over just so i could pull next to him and gave me the peace sign...I was like damn what da heck is on there, he goes alot of Audi goodness. i just know i'm fixing this never getting smoked again.
Depends on what year. The older S4 have 2.7 bi-turbo v6, the middle years have v8 , and the newer have 3.2 supercharged. In any case, you're looking at the 350+hp area. The older bi-turbo 2.7 can be wicked with a mid size turbo upgrade and software tune. Don't forget, the QUATTRO system alongside massive torque production is going to give them an incredible launch. A friend of mine had an avant (wagon) bi-turbo and it was actually scary at times how fast that car could accelerate.

Unfortunately, you'll have to spend some pretty serious BANK in order to keep with several cars(powerplants) coming out of VAG. In particular, the 1.8T (MKIV) and 2.0T (MKV/VI) can make some pretty serious power (even on a bit of a small budget) with an upgraded turbo and software. It's true that it's going to be easier to add power to an engine that leaves the factory with forced induction (consider the 335i/535i.) APR makes a bolt on (manifold/turbo swap) kit for the older 1.8T that makes in the neighborhood of 300hp that will run 12.90's for about 4K.

My point is, unless you have some serious power: be careful with any thing VAG that looks like it's been tinkered with because its likely to move out.

BTW I am, more/less, a VW Audi Group convert and still own a 2003 GTI that has a 'few' modifications of it's own.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by AZ530i
Depends on what year. The older S4 have 2.7 bi-turbo v6, the middle years have v8 , and the newer have 3.2 supercharged. In any case, you're looking at the 350+hp area. The older bi-turbo 2.7 can be wicked with a mid size turbo upgrade and software tune. Don't forget, the QUATTRO system alongside massive torque production is going to give them an incredible launch. A friend of mine had an avant (wagon) bi-turbo and it was actually scary at times how fast that car could accelerate.

Unfortunately, you'll have to spend some pretty serious BANK in order to keep with several cars(powerplants) coming out of VAG. In particular, the 1.8T (MKIV) and 2.0T (MKV/VI) can make some pretty serious power (even on a bit of a small budget) with an upgraded turbo and software. It's true that it's going to be easier to add power to an engine that leaves the factory with forced induction (consider the 335i/535i.) APR makes a bolt on (manifold/turbo swap) kit for the older 1.8T that makes in the neighborhood of 300hp that will run 12.90's for about 4K.

My point is, unless you have some serious power: be careful with any thing VAG that looks like it's been tinkered with because its likely to move out.

BTW I am, more/less, a VW Audi Group convert and still own a 2003 GTI that has a 'few' modifications of it's own.

LOL I'm sorry, no offense, but I can't see myself buying a car from the VAG group. I'd just be laughing too hard to sign the paperwork
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
LOL I'm sorry, no offense, but I can't see myself buying a car from the VAG group. I'd just be laughing too hard to sign the paperwork
maybe so... but there is no mistaking the fact that even some of their lowly small displacement vehicles can (even in stock form) outperform many 'top tier' brands. Granted, they don't live up to the build quality and other standards we appreciate in our BMW's - but if you're interested in a car that won't cost a fortune to buy or modify to very impressive levels of performance - they're nothing to laugh at.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

My brother-in-law has an S4. They are highly tunable. His car is chipped and has what I believe is called the "stage 3" or "stage 2" upgrades. I think this is upgraded turbo and exhaust but I am not sure.. He occasionally runs race fuel and gets over 400hp. He smokes cars right and left and they don't know what hit them...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Contributors

no worries dude, we all get burned from time to time. Happy Motoring.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by AZ530i
maybe so... but there is no mistaking the fact that even some of their lowly small displacement vehicles can (even in stock form) outperform many 'top tier' brands. Granted, they don't live up to the build quality and other standards we appreciate in our BMW's - but if you're interested in a car that won't cost a fortune to buy or modify to very impressive levels of performance - they're nothing to laugh at.

LOL I know, many of even the smaller cars can out perform their competitors. My laughter was at the thought of owning something from the VAG group. My coworker has a pretty fast R32 as well, but even he giggles when he goes into the iDrive equivalent - the VAG
Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
2 letters. M5
Umm... Actually one letter, one number!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by E60ROCKS
man i didnt think it was gonna be that bad i knew it would skool me but not that bad, seriously it was so embarassing i wish the ground would open so i could fall in with my 5er...the funny part too is i was on the gas all the way down and i bet he was prob just tapping his gas slightly
I owned a 528 and remember always wanting more power. This go around I have a 550 and the two extra cylinders make all the difference in the world. I don't think you are going to get a tremendous amount of power out of the 525 unless you spend quite a bit of money upgrading it. At that point the question becomes, would the money be better spent on a 535 or 550.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

no offense, but you shouldnt be trying to race with a 525. lots of cars out there are faster.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Mr5
Members

Originally Posted by wolf
I owned a 528 and remember always wanting more power. This go around I have a 550 and the two extra cylinders make all the difference in the world. I don't think you are going to get a tremendous amount of power out of the 525 unless you spend quite a bit of money upgrading it. At that point the question becomes, would the money be better spent on a 535 or 550.

Even the 550 is pretty slow compared to a "fully modded" S4 as he described.
The 550 does what, 13.7 in the 1/4 while a modded S4 (V6 TT) are down in the 12's.

For power, I'd say M5 or save your money.
If you want a blend of both power, economy, and comfort, then yea 550/535. (although a stock 535i is slow as hell in my opinion).

Quick Reply: got smoked by an Audi S4