E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got Smacked:(

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

after reading some threads on batteries, this leaves me to ponder whether my car will start when I finally get it back in March..
Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributors

whoa thats crazy 14.5 to fix that up!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

Mercifully, that will be covered by the driver-at-fault's insurance.

I swapped the Saturn for a Dodge Journey it gets worse gas mileage than the 545 even though it's a 6 cylinder. The Saturn Aura was getting 23 mpg, even though that's a 4. I was getting 23.5 mpg out of my 545i for similar driving, I wonder if I can ask for compensation on the extra gas? It might be offset by the difference in regular and premium gas.

Anybody have answers for the car behavior after the impact?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Glad to hear you're alright. The reason you're car was acting weird could be because of the BST (battery safety terminal) cable. In the event of an accident it cuts power to the battery to eliminate any car fires. Since its like a switch to the battery, it could cause a restriction to current being pulled by your cars electronic system. In your case, the impact wasn't enough to make the cable break but it could have damaged it enough to make the car operate roughly. There is a shop called "Katy Coach Works" in Houston that specializes in BMW, MB, Ferrari, Lambo etc repairs. Since you're going through the insurance, I would get the best repair shop you can. Peace of mind in a situation like this, is priceless.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Members

Thanks for the info on "Katy Coach Works" I'll keep it in mind for the future.

That was a real bad week for my car. Instead of starting a new thread I'll just tack it onto this one. The night before my car got towed away from my friend's apartment complex. When I got the car back a couple of hours and some franklins later, I had a warning for the ABS, the Active Steering, and the DSC. I fumed at the lot owners, who just shrugged and said, "don't blame us, we're just a collection point". I got back in the car and cursed and swore that I'd sue the towing company for screwing up my car, but after about a block all the warnings went away and the car drove normal again. I assume it was towed on its nose and the CHF got unsettled..what do you guys think?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Members

Update on the car - I was told today by Momentum paint and body that the body and paint repairs are done, but they found some suspension damage and are going to be waiting on those parts. Not sure about those details, hoping to get car back next week sometime.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Members

Got my car back Friday, 33 days later. Things look pretty good, although there seems to be more wind noise than before (may just be windy out), the trunklid trim is missing the plastic caps. the big downer is with the bumper where the parking sensor fits, it looks cracked around the sensor and I will have to take it in to be re-finished.

Over all, the car looks and runs good. The alignment they did makes the car feel different, but this could be that I have just gotten so used to driving the rental. Steering feels heavier, but tighter. Took them two attempts to get it right, as when I picked the car up the warnings came on immediately on the active steering and dsc and the alignment was way off. All in all I am pretty happy with the work by Momentum Body shop. the car looks great now on the right side, now if something could be done about the left..j/k.