E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new transmisson with software up-grade

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you know that I recently got a new transmission because my 5-6 shifts where very rough. So I got the tranny replaced with a software upgrade and it is truly amazing what this upgrade did. My car is unbelievably smooth now and when coming to a stop the car doesn't knock or jerk any more. And best of all, my MPG increased dramatically. I used to get somewhere around 17.5-17.9mpg now I get 19.7-19.9mpg!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='740702' date='Dec 8 2008, 05:19 PM
Some of you know that I recently got a new transmission because my 5-6 shifts where very rough. So I got the tranny replaced with a software upgrade and it is truly amazing what this upgrade did. My car is unbelievably smooth now and when coming to a stop the car doesn't knock or jerk any more. And best of all, my MPG increased dramatically. I used to get somewhere around 17.5-17.9mpg now I get 19.7-19.9mpg!
Good to hear that, mate. I am also getting (the dealer does not have any new tranny here in Dubai) my tranny replaced with 70% cost covered by BMW. Mine is a 2005 530 with 91,000 km on the clock, but in Dubai they offer only 2 years unlimited mileage warranty. I suffered the same tranny problems; 2-1 lurch when coming to a stop plus "transmission fault" messages popped out twice in 3 months.

Hopefully the new tranny would also do the magic as yours!
Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Lucky you got a new transmition ... But I got the software upgrade and rough down shift from 2-1 was fixed . Know when I punch it off the line I notice it revs higher then the tracktion control slows down my car and it feels like a jolt... I haven't disabled traction cause we had slight showers... Now does the traction control generaly make the car jolt ?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by NoName545i' post='741133' date='Dec 9 2008, 03:45 AM
Lucky you got a new transmition ... But I got the software upgrade and rough down shift from 2-1 was fixed . Know when I punch it off the line I notice it revs higher then the tracktion control slows down my car and it feels like a jolt... I haven't disabled traction cause we had slight showers... Now does the traction control generaly make the car jolt ?
I don't know, I haven't turned traction control off because the streets down here are way too crowded right now and I just cant come to terms with my run flat tires.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='740702' date='Dec 8 2008, 04:19 PM
It's good to hear things worked out for you. It's great experiencing such a smooth ride, isn't it?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='740702' date='Dec 8 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I have just read your comments on getting a upgrade software on transmission.I think you can help me. I have a BMW 5.25i (Automatic) 69k miles 2004. I just noticed a month ago that when I press brakes to stop my car it judders a bit. I had warranty on my car which has been expired in September 2008 so I am unable to ask my dealer to investigate free of charge. But I will take my car to some other dealer to have a look on this problem. But first I want to know a bit about this problem that why it is doing this?

Any ideas about this problem.

Your help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Butt' post='742080' date='Dec 10 2008, 03:59 AM
Hi,

I have just read your comments on getting a upgrade software on transmission.I think you can help me. I have a BMW 5.25i (Automatic) 69k miles 2004. I just noticed a month ago that when I press brakes to stop my car it judders a bit. I had warranty on my car which has been expired in September 2008 so I am unable to ask my dealer to investigate free of charge. But I will take my car to some other dealer to have a look on this problem. But first I want to know a bit about this problem that why it is doing this?

Does your car jerk back when it downshifts or does it kinda vibrate?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='742154' date='Dec 10 2008, 11:47 AM
Does your car jerk back when it downshifts or does it kinda vibrate?
It jerks when I press brakes to stop and it jerks only towards after stopping(braking).

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

At 70K miles I started to get the harsh 2-1 downshift. BMW NA authorized my dealer to replace it under my extended warranty and it has been perfect since. My SA said the repair without the warranty would be $7500 parts and $2000 labor. From the comments here it appears that BMW still has a real weakness in their auto trannys.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Butt' post='742080' date='Dec 10 2008, 04:59 AM
Hi,

My experience could be of help.....

I noticed the 2-1 lurch briefly before the car comes to full stop around 80,000km. I have done program update, tranny adaptation and tranny fluid top-up, no improvement at all.

Then I got the "transmission fault" message at 87,000km. Brought the car in and the dealer opened a Puma case. BMW offered to cover 50% part and I decided no to do anything. 4,000 km later, the message came out again. This time they resubmit the case and BMW apporved 70% part. This time I decided to replace the tranny.

My warranty is 2 years overdue but since the car is in relatively low mileage, the dealer could help ask for godd will repair. In your case, your warranty is only 2 months overdue I think you have a good chance to get a good will with more than 70 % covered.

For the 2-1 lurch, you can find more than enough stories here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=33406&hl=slam

There were members here still cannot get rid of the lurch problem even they had the tranny replaced. I dont think BMW have addressed this issue serious enough.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Got a new transmisson with software up-grade