E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it ... new 535d !

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, no photos yet... coming soon

So anyway, I got the train from London up to Coventry, arrived at Sytner (the dealer) around 1pm, which was one hour early. The sales guy was with another customer so I had a drink, and 5 minutes later he came over. I said I knew I was early but he said it wasn't a problem and the car was ready. The weather wasn't too good, so they had kept it inside so it was spotless when it was handed over. Absolutely everything was perfect - after the paperwork was signed and we had a very quick demo (because I either knew how everything worked, or would work it out for myself...!), I was off !! The car was showing just 5 miles on the odometer, but I didn't have a camera

Fuel tank was half full (cheap skates, you spend that sort of money and they don't even give you a full tank of fuel!!) so I stopped at the first petrol station just down the road and filled it up. Parked up for 5 minutes and set the satnav and EQ settings for the stereo. Then I started the 100 mile journey home. The HUD with the Satnav is just amazing, at first I thought it was a little odd but I soon got used to it and now see why people rate it so highly. It transorms the inbuilt factory satnav from a "fairly average but not very good" system in to an absolutely cutting edge fantastic device. I can forgive the lack of full postcode entry because the HUD is so superb. Now, the individual audio stereo. This was the biggy for me. I was not let down. It is simply out of this world. You have to set the EQ - it comes preprogrammed "flat". And you HAVE to have a good quality audio source. I was using MP3s and some of them sounded rubbish. But those that were good, sounded amazing. Think of it like a 50" high definition TV. If you put a bad input source in to it, it's going to look MUCH much worse than a cheap small TV. This sound system is the same. The source is critical. I played some high quality MP3 rips and my god, it was just mind blowing. I thought the original pre-LCI L7 was good, and I thought the L7 in my wife's E70 X5 was good. This is just on a whole different level and I'm over the moon.

Comfort seats... much better than the standard seats of my pre-LCI E60 (obviously). I don't like the look of the new headrests. The seats are almost no different visually to my old standard seats. They are quite comfy, but just don't seem "special". The seats in the E70 X5 are way better. Don't get me wrong, they aren't "bad" ... they are actually very good. Just not as special as I would have hoped. Maybe when I get used to them and get them set properly they'll feel nicer.

SAT/Paddles - used it once to see if it worked, and probably will never use it again

Non runflats ... superb I used to run 17" RFs. The 19" non-RFs turn this in to a different car. It's so quiet and smooth and feels so much more controlled. I was a real fan of RFs, and from a safety aspect will not knock them. But putting them on a luxury car just kills the ride. I've also gone from a non-M to an M-Sport, and it _still_ feels smoother!!

What else. Oh yes, the twin turbo engine. I have to say that low end, it feels no different to my 530d. I was expecting a little more "oomph". Maybe it'll loosen up a bit? I'll get a DMS remap after 1k or so which will also help. But it's a superb engine. Much quieter and more refined than my pre-LCI 530d. Now as for the 1,200 mile running in period, well I managed to last about 40 miles. I knew I'd never last 1,200 but had hoped I'd do a little more than 40. You see I was cruising in the middle lane of the motorway at 75mph being good, when this CLS320 came shooting up on the outside lane. The b4stard must have known my car was brand new. He pulled along side and matched my speed and stared at me! So I just nodded and let him accelerate away whilst I carried on at 75mph. Ok, that's what I _SHOULD_ have done. But I, umm, accidentally floored it. Kick down, couple of seconds later, I was doing 120mph and the car had SO much more in it. My god now I know why people call it the beast. Absolutely awesome effortless power. I've done ten years without a single speeding point on my licence. I am counting the hours until I get my first!

Anyway, knowing that I'd broken the rules, I just thought "sod it" and continued to drive the rest of the way home like a nutter. Floored it at every opportunity including from a standstill. It's great. Love it. I'll try and behave a bit for the next 1,000 miles but pah - I'll sell the car long before the warranty expires anyway!!

I'll post some more info once I've got to learn the car a bit more, and of course get some photos up asap.

If anybody wants any specific info or has any more questions based on the spec in my signature, just ask here !
Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Glad you are enjoying the car. Also good to hear that someone else has flaunted the breaking in rules. I have done this myself and you have made me feel a little better about myself...Thanks.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='481113' date='Oct 13 2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry, no photos yet... coming soon

Fuel tank was half full (cheap skates, you spend that sort of money and they don't even give you a full tank of fuel!!) so I stopped at the first petrol station just down the road and filled it up.
The 19" non-RFs turn this in to a different car. It's so quiet and smooth and feels so much more controlled. I was a real fan of RFs, and from a safety aspect will not knock them. But putting them on a luxury car just kills the ride. I've also gone from a non-M to an M-Sport, and it _still_ feels smoother!!

I knew I'd never last 1,200 but had hoped I'd do a little more than 40. You see I was cruising in the middle lane of the motorway at 75mph being good, when this CLS320 came shooting up on the outside lane. The b4stard must have known my car was brand new.
Russ,

Congrats, long wait over.

I only got half a tank too, ?30 charge as per invoice.

The 19" wheels are great and look better than in pictures because pictures don't show the "dish" effect of the hub. Washed mine for the first time tonight, felt like it took hours so be warned!

After some back road stuff the other day I have to say the sport moniker is not as sporty when compared to say an E46 sport version.

Keep trying with the running in. Call me a square but I have managed to keep below 4000 rpm but it is getting wearing - only 300miles to go.

Anyway, ENJOY, and get some pics posted soon!

Regards,
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Members

Superb mate. Pleased you're happy with it. I'm trying my best with the running in as well. I've had it four days now and I've got just under 650 miles on it already (mind you, I did drive it nearly 500 miles back from the dealership)...

If you get a chance, could you do me a really big favour and take a pic of your Equalizer settings for the Individual Audio. I'm rubbish with Equalizers and it would be good to get someone else's settings who knows what they're doing...

Even with them set flat, it still sounds amazing.

HUD is still my favourite option. I'll get round to writing a full review at some point over the next couple of days. Get out there and enjoy!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Members

Hey Russ,

glad you got your car at last, before you know it, it will seem an age since we were all trying to comfort each other through the wait!!!

Pretty much managed to keep mine sane during the run in despite my dealer telling me there was no need. But then having the Evo helps with the need for speed more than the 535

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='481187' date='Oct 13 2007, 10:09 PM
HUD is still my favourite option. I'll get round to writing a full review at some point over the next couple of days. Get out there and enjoy!
Yep, HUD really does rock, and with the sat nav and active cruise display it's awesome. Have to say though I'm not sure what's my favourite option at the minute, that or the Active Cruise.... or maybe even the active seat back rests!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

naturally russ we want to see the pics now!!

Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Good for you !! I think it was hilarious that you couldn't resist the urge to plung the pedal.... It's all good .They spin these engine in the factory knowing full well that we are human and have no idea what restraint is in an E60.

Cheers
Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='481187' date='Oct 13 2007, 03:09 PM
If you get a chance, could you do me a really big favour and take a pic of your Equalizer settings for the Individual Audio. I'm rubbish with Equalizers and it would be good to get someone else's settings who knows what they're doing...
I wouldn't go as far as saying I know what I'm doing But this is how I like it. I leave the general "tone" settings for bass/treble in their default middle settings, and only edit the EQ:

Got it ... new 535d !-535d_014.jpg
Old 10-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Ok Russ happy for you and all but have you looked at new car rules lately? we need pics!!....we will even take some crappy cellphone ones.

BTW congrats
Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Just found This

Quick Reply: Got it ... new 535d !