E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

got my new tyres on

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks,
Got my new NON runflats on today, cars so bloody quiet that i hear a whistle coming from my turbo. So going in tommorow, think turbo is on the way out. Anyway thats another story, to the tyres.

I wanted a tyre that was not too pricey but wanted a branded name. We have only a couple of weeks to go until its spring so didnt want a winter one. I wanted a tyre thats good in the wet as we get a little rain in Scotland!

I bought Goodyear f1s the 275 rears cost ?147 ea. and the front cost ?127 each fitted and balanced.

Verdict:

The noise level has reduced by 300% what a difference, for this alone it was worth changing them. Tramlining has gone, none whatsoever.

The ride qualities are down to personal taste, i no longer feel every stone on the road and tonight it was raining and the tyres were made for the wet. fantastic.

The one slight downside is the car is not as firm which i prefer as my family are in the car most of the time at sensible speeds. Ideally i would have liked it a tiny little bit firmer. Which just tells you how hard the runflats are. It is however much more comfortable and still not what you would call bouncy.

On a couple of corners today i felt a bit of what i would call lateral play, not the tyres but the car. Maybe the e60 just needs lowered a bit, but that will make it stiffer so i suppose its a trade off.

The car now has some soul and does not now feel like a car riding on the rims.

As usual the stealers told lies, one of the front runflats was ok. So i will buy a wheel on ebay and only use the runflat as a spare. I think someone asked what fits in the well in the boot. well it wont take the 275s but will take the 245 i think.

All in all a good days work, car transformed.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='391216' date='Feb 13 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi folks,
Got my new NON runflats on today, cars so bloody quiet that i hear a whistle coming from my turbo.

Glad to hear you are so happy with the non-runflats...
Somehow, it's not a big surprise.

Keep us posted...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Hi folks,
Got my new NON runflats on today, cars so bloody quiet that i hear a whistle coming from my turbo. So going in tommorow, think turbo is on the way out. Anyway thats another story, to the tyres.

I wanted a tyre that was not too pricey but wanted a branded name. We have only a couple of weeks to go until its spring so didnt want a winter one. I wanted a tyre thats good in the wet as we get a little rain in Scotland!

I bought Goodyear f1s the 275 rears cost ?147 ea. and the front cost ?127 each fitted and balanced.

Verdict:

The noise level has reduced by 300% what a difference, for this alone it was worth changing them. Tramlining has gone, none whatsoever.

The ride qualities are down to personal taste, i no longer feel every stone on the road and tonight it was raining and the tyres were made for the wet. fantastic.

The one slight downside is the car is not as firm which i prefer as my family are in the car most of the time at sensible speeds. Ideally i would have liked it a tiny little bit firmer. Which just tells you how hard the runflats are. It is however much more comfortable and still not what you would call bouncy.

On a couple of corners today i felt a bit of what i would call lateral play, not the tyres but the car. Maybe the e60 just needs lowered a bit, but that will make it stiffer so i suppose its a trade off.

The car now has some soul and does not now feel like a car riding on the rims.

As usual the stealers told lies, one of the front runflats was ok. So i will buy a wheel on ebay and only use the runflat as a spare. I think someone asked what fits in the well in the boot. well it wont take the 275s but will take the 245 i think.

All in all a good days work, car transformed.

Welcome to the 'I didn't believe they made so much difference' club.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

I bought Goodyear f1s
Without success I've tried to find in other posts what brand of RFT was causing you a problem. Can you let us know please?

Also your wheel sizes would be informative. After all, these appear to both be factors that cause different RFT driving experiences.

It seems to me the lower the profile and bigger the rim, the quicker people aim to ditch their RFTs.

ABC
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Fraseman999,

Having proper tyres on the car makes a big difference, doesn't it?
You will probably only get the 245's in the wheel well as long as you don't put the boot floor back in! The diameter if the wheel shouldn't be a problem, but the depth of the well is only big enough for a space-saver spare.

I don't know if you were joking about your Turbo whistle, but if you've got the 3 litre engine, then, in the words of the car salesmen - "They all do that, Mate" I've heard it in both 330d and 530 d's. The earlier 184bhp (E46/E39) engines didn't whistle, but the 218 and upwards engines do, but of course, they have completely different injection systems.

Aybeesea,

I junked the Dunlop RFT's that were fitted to my 7.5J x 17 Star Spoke 116 rims.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='391375' date='Feb 14 2007, 08:33 AM
I junked the Dunlop RFT's that were fitted to my 7.5J x 17 Star Spoke 116 rims
Trying to see if there's general bad feedback about the Good Year Eagle NCT 5's. The Dunlops seem to be a common complaint.

I'm happy to go non-RFT when the time comes but relevant info is always useful.

ABC
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Members

I fully agree! I changed my Bridgestone Potenza RFT to NON RFT Continental ContiPremiumContact (speed rating: W). Now I do enjoy a much softer ride, also I do not get this annoying noise of RFT. The disadvantage is obvious; if I get a puncture then the RFT is a winner. So it is a sort of compromise, for me definitely I support NON RFT
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

Because the Good Years don't seem to be mentioned in the this context, I wonder whether they use a different RFT architecture, learning from experiences elsewhere...

ABC
Old 02-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Members

I had good year nct on front 245 40 18 and dunlops on the rear 275 35 18. My wifes telling me toady its like riding in a trampoline. She liked the runflats. aarrrgh!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='391449' date='Feb 14 2007, 03:49 PM
I had good year nct on front 245 40 18 and dunlops on the rear 275 35 18. My wifes telling me toady its like riding in a trampoline. She liked the runflats. aarrrgh!
Did YOU mix manufacturers or is that how you acquired the car?

ABC

Quick Reply: got my new tyres on