E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my car back today

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my car today after bringing it in for a software update. A few ?'s:

1) All of my settings are still intact. Did they do the update?

2) The passenger seatbelt light is still off (meaning the airbag is on) even when nothing is in the passenger seat. Anybody else have this problem?

3) My steering wheel seems to be slightly off kilter...very slightly. Is it possible that the software update caused this?

4) Is it possible to find out what version of softwware you have via I-Drive?

Thanks all,
Old 08-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:41 PM
I picked up my car today after bringing it in for a software update. A few ?'s:

3) My steering wheel seems to be slightly off kilter...very slightly. Is it possible that the software update caused this?
[snapback]165800[/snapback]

EDIT-- Actually it is. See the answer below.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well, I'll attempt some answers for you...

1) It's possible that they preserved your settings. I remember reading somewhere that early on, the technicians were supposed to write down the settings before doing the upgrade so they could put them back in after the new version was installed. Also, I remember reading that one of the newer CIP versions had provisions in it to allow the user settings to be preserved (maybe through some backup/restore procedure). To make a long story short, it's possible that they did the upgrade but it's also possible they didn't. Just ask them if they did it and ask them to confirm what CIP version you're now on so you'll know for future issues/questions.

2) The airbag light should be on if there's not enough weight in the seat. There's been a bunch of issues relating to this light so it sounds like something still isn't right with your car.

3) Even though rodneyremington thinks it's funny, an off kilter steering wheel is definitely a software issue. Cars with Active Steering need to be reset or recalibrated by the dealer to make sure the wheel is straight. You do not need a front-end alignment -- just a quick connection to the computer at the dealer while they run a process that will result in your wheel being straight again.

4) There is no way to determine what version of software you have though any iDrive screen. You can get the dealer to provide you a printout of the version when they hook up the car to do the AS recalibration.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

After my update, some settings were intact. Others, like the address book, were lost.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Members

Thanks Rudy! These answers have been most helpful. I thought I remembered Stream mentioning somewhere that his steering wheel was off due to a software update.

Any idea if the AS recalibration can be fixed while I wait??

Thanks,
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 AM
Members

My Ride: Face-lifted E46 Toruing, soon to be replaced by E60!

ALL of my settings were intact when I got my car back yesterday, with the exception of average gas milage (which I hadn't reset for a long time, to get a true average number).
I'm 100% I got a newer CIP, as I have perspective view in my Nav now.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by BosseP999' date='Sep 1 2005, 06:42 AM
I'm 100% I got a newer CIP, as I have perspective view in my Nav now.
[snapback]165866[/snapback]
What is "perspective view"?
Is it what I think? Your navigation map fills the entire iDrive screen?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Perspective view on nav is the "3D" view where you can see a horizon and the sky (with some clouds, etc.) depicting sort of a three-dimensional view of the map instead of the older, flat, two-dimensional view. The only screen that fills the entire screen is the main menu (with the four initial choices (Communications, Navigation, Climate, Entertainment.)
Old 09-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 1 2005, 07:18 AM
Perspective view on nav is the "3D" view where you can see a horizon and the sky (with some clouds, etc.) depicting sort of a three-dimensional view of the map instead of the older, flat, two-dimensional view.? The only screen that fills the entire screen is the main menu (with the four initial choices (Communications, Navigation, Climate, Entertainment.)
[snapback]165875[/snapback]
Seems they can make the nav screen fill the entire screen with a software update; don't know why they won't do it.

Anyway, with a view of the horizon, I'm taking this "new" perspective view is not a "top-down" perspective. I wonder if this has any advantages.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I think that what gets reset/cleared depends on what they update. They don't always update every processor's software, only those that have a a new version or are dependent upon one that does. My ECU was updated and I didn't lose any settings that I noticed.

Quick Reply: Got my car back today