E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Got it - Love it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004 | 12:25 PM
Contributors

hi 520i,

have you checked your cd player? is it back to track 1 after you shut down the engine?

thanks.
Old 02-11-2004 | 12:38 PM
Senior Members

congrats - i feel happy and sad - haven't even ordered mine yet
Old 02-11-2004 | 12:56 PM
Senior Members

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

from a Z1 site, came across it on a google search - but, as far as the decoding result goes, close but no cigar

interesting though - would like to find a more accurate vresion, though.
Old 02-11-2004 | 01:13 PM
Senior Members

sorry - that link was for the VIN decoder. oops.

so here is the info I worked with, but first a warning... ...

beware: it is obviously for a 7 series so it won't be the same for an e60

warning: I have no idea if it is possible to screw up your car with any of this and if you do anything then you don't know me and most things are either unclear or using German acronyms maybe, something for example about SVS radio

caveat: it doesn't necessarily work exactly as described, but works: i.e. nothing flashes after holding the piton down for six seconds but if you then release it and do the twists as described you will get into the idrive menu

lookout: maybe the drive computer access is more dangerous, i dunno - but be careful with it simply because, being less sophisticated it is less likely to have as much built-in protection because, frankly, you shouldn't be there

... i flicked through the drive computer stuff, found #19 regarding locking but didn't really know what it was all about so i exited.. ditto with the iDrive stuff - but as i said above, i managed to determine that settings do exist within my busnav/pro radio device relating to TMC and MP3 - both of which are not working but the reference in the settings bodes well

finally i have no real idea what is the version # of anything other than the 'tuner' but even that has other similar info to confuse me

so all that said, here is what i was working with (and I have no idea as to who is Brian Lewis) -- have fun!

-------------------
Tips and Tricks:

onBoard computer

Checking you instrumentation cluster version. (As per Brian Lewis)
While car is on, press the mileage reset button in the top left corner of the dash, hold it in for 15 seconds.

Now you will have menu options from 01 to 21, you can now continue to use that button or use the bottom button on the turn signal, press the button for 5 seconds to open the 01 Identification menu.

Now press that button about 5 times, 1 second each time, to scroll down to VIN, find the last 5 digits of your vin, sum up the values, you will need this information later.

Now press the button for 5 seconds to get back to the menu.

Press the Button (1 sec intervals) to get down to option 19 UNLOCKING.
Once there, press in the button for 5 seconds to get to execute that menu option.

Now press the button (1 sec intervals) to get to that value you computed with your vin, once its dialed in, hold the button in for 5 seconds to get back to the main menu. Now all the options on the menu will work (unlocked!)
This lets you look at a lot of sensor information, speed of vehicle (digital readout that is 100% accurate!! but in km/h), true tank capacity, Bitmap examples for the dash (cool thing). Also under the Identification menu you can scroll down to MASTER and find out what version of software your car has!!!! Mine has 06.09.60, still not sure how this compares to '6.7.1.2' which is supposedly the latest.

To Enter and Exit menus you hold for 5 seconds, to scroll down you hold for 1 second, to exit main menu completely hold for 15 seconds, and you do not need to Unlock the computer next time, it will always be unlocked until you lock it or the dealer locks it.

-----------------------------
Checking some version numbers through iDrive. (As per LowTech)
Enter Service Mode of Control Display by:

1. In Basic Menu display (N,S,E,W), press down the iDrive Controller for 6 seconds.
Hint: The help text flashes briefly when it is ready.
2. Turn Controller 3 increments clockwise. (Increment means click)
3. Turn Controller 3 increments counter clockwise.
4. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
5. Turn Controller 1 increment counter clockwise.
6. Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.
7. Press Controller to confirm.
8. Enter "MOST Devices" menu.
9. Browse
But to get the final comprehensive versions, you really need the BMW dealer's tech equipment though.

For this "hack" the latest versions reported are:
ASK: 7.3.3
MMI: 6.6.6.0
NAV: 8.1.14
Telephone: 4.7.0
Voice: 7.5.0
Old 02-11-2004 | 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Fantastic information skidster, glad to hear you are enjoying your car. I really hope you can get your TMC working soon.

Tell me, do you know if TMC is the same system that the TrafficMaster SmartNav system uses in its navigation product, or is that their own proprietory system (the dark blue cameras on poles.)

I have jus seen the online demo for SmartNav, and it looks damned impressive. So cheap as well at ?499 + install. Kind of puts the ?1650 pro nav I've ordered into perspective
Old 02-11-2004 | 02:44 PM
Senior Members

cd changer starts where it left off - will check the cd player for you tomorrow
Old 02-11-2004 | 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Skidster - just had one vague thought regarding your TMC:

I read that TMC is carried on the RDS radio datastream - have you programed in any RDS radio stations yet?
Old 02-11-2004 | 03:48 PM
Senior Members

yep - the dealer pre-tuned the usual suspects, most of which have TP and to my knowledge also RDS...

UK locals, help me out here... Radio2 is RDS, for example, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2004 | 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Yes Radio2 is one of the RDS channels. That blows my theory (was a bit of a longshot)
Old 02-12-2004 | 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Spoke with the dealer today and he suspects I need a software upgrade - bizarre since the car was built four weeks ago.. but he agrees that the TMC should be live.

And he's looking into the missing rear-seat cigarette lighters and ashtray.

By the way, the business nav system is remarkably advanced in usage. interface, accuracy and capability to the CD-based Destinator I had been running on a laptop - I am, so far, more than pleased.

Quick Reply: Got it - Love it.