E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got into an accident what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short got into an accident drivers door got the hit and set off the driver's door airbag and roof air bag. Bought a new door and a new roof air bag . Will get a new drivers air bag and resew the door panel airbag card.

Questions,

When installing the roof air bag should I disconnect the battery ?
Can I do the roof air bag then drive around with a bad airbag in the door ?
Will I have to get a new airbag sensor for the door or can I switch everything over from the old door?
Is the a separate sensor for the roof air bag ? Where is is located?
Will I have to get a new airbag modual? Or can it be reset?
My seatbelt light is also on the dash do I need a new sensor even tho I did not get hit on?

I may have missed something

Thanks for all your help in advance
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

I'm not trying to be a smart arse...but it sounds like you "need" a BMW tech. at a main dealer to check it out.....all safety critical parts should be left to the pro's......and I might add, I use the word professional in the loosest sense
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Contributors

I agree with thomas above as far as seeking professional help, but I've provided responses to the questions I can answer. Good luck with the repair.

Whenever replacing any parts with electronics (like the door you bought), you MUST disconnect the battery. Especially when it deals with airbags as you run the risk of the sensor detecting the activity as a crash and going off. Aside from the airbags going off, when disconnecting/connecting electronics with the battery connected, you also run the risk of shorting the electronics (damaging the new part) and also throwing errors. You can switch everything from one door to another. I'm assuming the new door does not have the interior panel with all the parts. You can certainly drive around with a bad airbag in the door, but you have to realize that it is unsafe (another hit and you won't be protected).
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Forgot to add, that with coding, one can talk to the airbag and get info back. So as far as making sure it works, if you hook up a computer to the vehicle with the right tools, you should be able to talk to the airbag. I haven't gotten that far and all I've been able to talk to is the Sunroof :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

You are going to need the computer and programming software to do this job so you dont get constant error messages... not to menton all the install knowledge for these important components. I would suggest, because we are talking about safety and airbags, that a trained professional do the repairs... dont you have insurance??