E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got into an accident!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Interior w/poplar wood trim, Tinted Windows, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Stick-shift, Bluetooth, AUX Input

I was driving in Nebraska and it had just rained, the car in front of me hit an oil slick and skidded of, I hit the brakes and swerve to avoid the car and I hit the guard rail (concrete blocks actually). The damage was moderate and confined only to the front. Everything else was intact, not a total wreck. The headlights, bumper were gone.

The airbag went off, the safety systems worked like precise clock-work. The engine shut off, the battery terminal blew so there wouldn't be any sparks in case of a fuel leak, the emergency lights came on and the BMW On Assist played its part to perfection. Within 15minutes, I had a tow truck tow it to the BMW Dealer, a rental car arranged. I had ZERO injuries, I mean nothing at all, not even a shock. Its got the freaking best safety system I have ever seen. The other guy in his buick was not that lucky, he did sustain airbag injury, and lacerations.

The good thing was the guys' insurance company is taking care of the mess. But they had to replace the aluminum structure rod in the front and since the airbags went off, they had to replace the wiring loom for the car (the whole fibre-optic electric wiring loom for the entire car).

This is where it gets more interesting. We all know that its NOT possible to get NAV retrofitted on non-NAV US cars unless they have option 6UA. BMW no longer makes the wiring loom different for US/Non-US cars. They have a standard wiring loom that works for every e60 for ALL options. They just close/open circuits as needed. That was what BMW NA told the dealership. Do any of you guys know anything about this. So, now is it possible for retrofit???

They did have a lot of issues programming the car but now it is all resolved and it is ready for me to pick-up this friday after about 2months. However BMW was kind enough to help me for the extended period since they had to figure the wiring and other stuff and has paid me for the trip to Nebraska and back to pick-up. I wanted to drive from Omaha to Kansas back, as it would be a good 5hr test drive for me.
I hope everything is as it was and it still drives the same. Thats the only thing that worries me. The dealership is happy with the car and they say it is as good as new*Hopefully thats true*

I feel like kicking that buick guys' ass right now for all the trouble, but he was an old man and very polite and sorry. Guess shit happens! But why meeee??

I'll be happy if I can get the NAV retrofit done now atleast. Something good should happen to me after this accident other than the fact that I am alive with absolutely no injury.

I'll post the pictures of the wreck and the repair process this weekend as I get it.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Members

Glad to hear that there were no injuries. I hope you are still happy with your car after your repairs. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

sorry to hear, glad you're ok, and great story about bmw safety!
so did BMW assist call you, or did you call them?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Glad to hear you're OK.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Ajay,

Glad to hear that no one was injured.
Wishing you "Happy Trails" real soon!
-Tony
Old 08-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

In amny ways you get what you pay for. Glad you are ok and the car protected you so well.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

That's one of the reasons I drive a BMW! So glad to hear you are ok!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

glad to hear you are ok . since the other party's ins is going to pay for the repair, why not pay a little more out of your own pocket and change to m-tech bumper ?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Good car can provide good protection!

Skaffa
Old 09-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Gald you are Ok also that you have also chosen the bets car E60