E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

My 545 now has almost 18,000 miles. I have had issues with the electronics buy have also had a very knowledgeable and willing team of technicians maintaining my car. I have never paid for a SW update nor had to fight for one. My noisy tires were changed under warranty and I paid just one hour of labor to get BT retrofitted when it was first available.

My only complaint about quality has been the rattles, which I am happy to say are no longer. I have the new seals and simply wipe them down once a week with a damp cloth to ensure silence.

It boils down to the willingness and expertise of the dealer servicing your car. I can only imagine how irritated I would be if it wasn?t for this. THIS is the area that BMWNA needs to work on. They must train the entire dealership network. At this rate I will re-lease another 5 series in 18 months, probably a 550 with SMG. Software is a work in progress and I understand that as is vehicle testing. I am sure that every year the E60 only becomes better and more reliable and thanks to software updates, I keep getting these enhancements.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Members

C'mon, Guys...let's be real here.

The 2004 545i is bound to be RIFE with problems...it is the first year of a new model! Heck, even the second year should have problems but it should be fewer.

Personally, I would never EVER outright purchase the first year of a new model...it is has just been proven time and again that it is too risky (for me, anyway).

Wait for the third year (and beyond) and you should get a pretty reliable car.

My 2001 530i/5 has been pretty rock solid but even then, I still have an aftermarket warranty on it (sleep better at night). CR gave this one its highest mark for reliability.

All that said, I got an AWESOME lease deal on my 2005 545i and so far, with 8600 miles, it has been perfect. Of course, now I'm dumping the car but plans are to pick up an '07 550i on ED next September or so. I'm not sure if I'll purchase the car or lease it yet (depends on the numbers from BMWFS) and even though it'll be the first year of a new engine (kinda concerned about that), the car will be basically the same and in its 3rd year and should have most of the kinks worked out.

However, I can certainly understand the frustration of having a car in the shop more often than driving it. I would go nuts.

Stop back when you have an '07 or '08 5-series!!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributors

I will. I'm sure their will be another BMW in my future. For now I need a break with something that works. BTW I had more than software issues with my ride. I recently had to have the alternator replaced and even with a new alternater the engine made the same high pitched whining noise. Who knows, maybe my 545i was just a bad build. But the problems + incompetent dealer drove me away.

If I do get another 5 series in the future It will definitly be at a different dealer!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Sorry to hear about all the problems with the car. If youre not selling the car would you be willing to sell me your TCU? I have an 04 production with no bluetooth.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by bklyn545' date='Oct 4 2005, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems with the car. If youre not selling the car would you be willing to sell me your TCU? I have an 04 production with no bluetooth.
[snapback]179502[/snapback]

huh? Why would he do that? Even if he does or does not sell his car...

Hey can I have your Prof Radio then?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

You're not alone, I traded my 545i for a Japanese car too, and I only had to go to the dealer once, Who kept the car for four days for a software upgrade and then wouldn't give me a loaner because I didn't buy from them. ( I don't mind not getting the loaner but I do mind the " your car is in line and you can't get an appointment for the software upgrade you just have to wait in line" attitude the dealer gave me.) :thumbsdown:

I still have the 545 while waiting for the new one to come in. And I love the smooth V8 when you get an open stretch of road. But the sporadic rattles and the Thump in the transmission ( which only happened yesterday, first time) the hesitation in D mode and the gear hanging in DS mode have me dissapointed for city driving in traffic. Every time I grin due to performance the car makes me frown on reliability issues.

I absolutely agree the Thrid year model is the best year to get the car while the quirks are weeded out and the model isn't about to be overhauled for another 3 years.

I am furious that BMW discontinued the 545 in two years, if they had to upgrade the engine at least keep the name to protect the early buyers everyone here knows the naming and engine size don't match any more. I feel cheated to pay a premium for the luxury image of a 545 only to be passed up in less than a year of ownership.

It's not all just performance, there are cars which cost less and outperform the 545i, it's the image of luxury that we are paying for.

BMW should have changed the engine before it launched the new body style or wait till the next update. And most definitely they should have used their own time and testing tracks rather than use the early buyers as guinea pigs before they launched the newly redisigned vehicle. I have a 05 with bluetooth that I was suprised to get because there was no mention of it when I placed the order. But I can imagine how the 04 buyers would feel
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Oct 4 2005, 08:06 PM
I am furious that BMW discontinued the 545 in two years, if they had to upgrade the engine at least keep the name to protect the early buyers everyone here knows the naming and engine size don't match any more. I feel cheated to pay a premium for the luxury image of a 545 only to be passed up in less than a year of ownership. ?

[snapback]179533[/snapback]
Are you nothing more than a poser that gets kicks out of other people looking at the badge on your car? If you were happy with the performance of your vehicle when you bought it, why would you care if BMW came out with a 590 V16? I'm perfectly happy with my 545i and could care less about the new 550, I bought my car for performance and driving dynamics, not so that I could have the latest thing.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I dunno I didnt like the fact that they change it to 550 either... every other car they changed the engine on they kept the naming convention this time around why change the 545 to 550? Why pick on the old early adapters punishing them twice with engine upgrade and badge name?

Now when people ask what do you have? I have to say "545" and they'll go why didnt you get the 550? THEN I'll have to explain! ARGH!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I have almost 32K miles on my 2004 545i SMG.
Yes, I've been through a couple of steering racks (early on) and Yes, I had the crappy Dunlop RF's . But all of which have been fixed by the dealer under warranty . Creaky door seals are annoying and have been fixed off and on (now it's back to off ) but the chassis dynamics, the grunt (and sound - thanks to B&B) of the sweet V8 , the look, the sound system and everything else make up for it.

My last ride was an Audi A6 2.7T. It had it's fair share of issues as well. I drove it because it was $150 less per month less than a BMW at the time. And even though it was all-wheel-drive (a big plus here in New England) and I chipped it to 318hp (gotta love Turbo mods) it just wasn't a BMW (read: weight distribution, chassis dynamics, fun factor, torque, etc...). I also had an Acura in between M3's. Sure, the only thing I had to do to that car was put gas in it and change the oil, but what a BORING car it was :thumbsdown: !

So, who cares that the New 5 with the V8 is a 550i. If it means that much to you, trade in your 545 - or debadge it - or get the 550i badge - or while you're at it, get the M5 badge - whatever.

Enjoy this fine automobile. There will always be something better out there.

That being said, I do remember the conersation that I had with my dealer when I leased my car. It went something like this...

"So when is the warranty up?" "OK - that will be when I'm looking to have the lease end". Turned out to be around 17K miles over 3 years.
Yes, this will be an expensive beast once the warranty is up.
Yes, I like to get a new car every few years.
That is why I lease.

...stepping off of my soap box.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Oct 4 2005, 01:35 PM
I have purchased a new vehicle an Infiniti M35x.? I think will meet my need for reliability Plus it has many featues? that make loner driving trips more pleasant.? I know I'll get some negative feedback from those that dislike Japanese cars but this is a good solution for my needs.

What I'll miss
Supurb, crisp handling
Fantastic acceleration
Great look (ok I like the Bangle style)
HUD
SMG (when it worked right)
Ther great and knowledgeable folks on this board

What I won't miss
Driving loaners
Techs that don't have a clue how to fix the car
Constant software updates
Rattles and other noises